Diet Alternative- Proactol Plus (Ads) | Home :: South Beach Diet | Food List | Recipes | Related Books and Grocery Shopping (Amazon)

Pumpkin Pie Shake

Share your favourite recipes here.

Moderators: KristyW, Magna, Kimboroni

Pumpkin Pie Shake

Postby Dolly-VA » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:20 pm

I got the originally recipe from Cooking Light (current edition maybe?) and made it SBeachy as well as divided it by 4 (to make a single serving.) It's delicious! (Just finished it. :D)

Pumpkin Pie Shake
Serves 1

1/2 c plain, ff yogurt
1/4 c ff milk
2 Tbsps canned pumpkin*
4 tsps flavored sf syrup
1/4 tsp (rounded) pumpkin pie spice
ice cubes
1 Tbsp Reddi Whip or Cool Whip (optional)

Mix all but whipped topping in a blender (making as thick as you want by adding ice.) Pour in a glass and top with whipped topping. Enjoy!

You can probably add some flaxmeal to this, I may next time. Original recipe calls for vanilla ice cream (for the yogurt) and brown sugar (for the sweetener.)

* Can used cold, mashed sweet potato if you refuse to use any pumpkin. (I believe pumpkin is a very healthy, vitamin packed food and use it in small amounts, 1 tablespoon only adds 5 calories! But everyone has to make their own decisions.)

Note: Since I didn't want to let the rest of the can of pumpkin go to waste, I actually seperated it out into a 16 cube ice cube tray which will give about 2 tablespoons per cube. Next time I make this I'll use them frozen!

(85 calories without whipped topping)
Restarted 3/14/11 directly into Phase 2.
Needing to re-lose 13 lbs.
Current weight loss: 3 lbs (as of 3/20/11)
Dolly-VA

Re: Pumpkin Pie Shake

Postby vickil » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:01 pm

Dolly-VA wrote:Note: Since I didn't want to let the rest of the can of pumpkin go to waste, I actually seperated it out into a 16 cube ice cube tray which will give about 2 tablespoons per cube. Next time I make this I'll use them frozen!

Good tip! Thanks! :)
vickil

Postby MissSouthBeach » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:50 pm

That was a REALLY good tip. THANKS! I might be doing that myself when I try this shake out (which I am also planning to do).

And yes, there is nothing wrong with having 2 tablespoons of pumpkin here and there. It's yummy and nutritious! You just can't have it too often I think because of the GI.
MissSouthBeach

Postby recipelover » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:25 pm

Just copying in this recipe that was just posted:

Banana Pumpkin Smoothie, P2 [posted by luvs_torun]

Here is a smoothie recipe from Cooking Light that looks good:

The frozen fruit helps give the smoothie a thick texture; chilling the pumpkin ensures the smoothie stays cold when you blend it. The combination of banana, pumpkin, yogurt, and orange juice gives this breakfast beverage 740 milligrams of potassium per serving.

1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
3/4 cup canned pumpkin, chilled
1/2 cup ice cubes
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon brown sugar (or brown sugar Twin)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Dash of ground cloves
1 ripe banana, sliced and frozen
Dash of ground cinnamon (optional)

Combine yogurt and next 8 ingredients (through banana) in a blender, and process until smooth. Garnish with dash of ground cinnamon, if desired. Serve immediately.

Yield: 2 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)
(*;*)
I love recipes so I put together the:
Recipe summary Sticky arranged by categories: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=97961
recipelover

Postby CybilAddi » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:17 pm

Yummy. Can't wait to make one of these for breakfast! Thanx.
CybilAddi

Re: Pumpkin Pie Shake

Postby ami » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:44 am

Just on time for pumpkin pie shake Yeah! :roll:
Ami in OH
ami

Smoothies: A Healthy Breakfast Idea/DD/3/9/10

Postby ami » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:04 pm

Smoothies: A Healthy Breakfast Idea

Tired of eggs and oatmeal for breakfast? Take a break from traditional morning meals and prepare a healthy, delicious smoothie. A smoothie is a blended, frothy, chilled beverage that is often made with milk, yogurt, and other flavorings — and also fruit (if you’re on Phase 2 of the South Beach Diet). Smoothies are so easy to prepare and a great option if you’re pressed for time.

How to Prepare a Smoothie at Home

When preparing a smoothie at home, use a food processor or blender, which will give this tasty beverage a thick, milkshake-like consistency. There are a variety of ingredients you can use in your smoothie, depending on the Phase of the plan you’re on. Here are some basic guidelines:

If you’re on Phase 1, you can enjoy …

* Fat-free (skim) or 1% milk
* Nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt, including nonfat (0%) Greek yogurt
* Natural peanut butter (Choose a brand with no more than 1 g of sugar per serving.)
* Silken tofu
* Nuts and flaxseed
* Sugar-free chocolate syrup
* No-sugar-added chocolate powder
* Vanilla or almond extract
* Granular sugar substitute

If you’re on Phase 2 or 3, you can enjoy …
All of the above, including:

* Fresh or frozen fruit, such as blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, peaches, and bananas

How to Choose a Healthy Store-Bought Smoothie

While it’s best to prepare your smoothies at home (because you know they’ll contain only the healthiest ingredients), you can purchase smoothies in restaurant chains or grocery stores too, as long as you check the list of ingredients first. Some smoothie brands contain canned fruit with added sugars, syrups, full-fat yogurts, whole milk, and ice cream, which may derail your weight-loss efforts.

If you buy a store-bought smoothie, stick to a serving of eight ounces — anything larger can create cravings and hinder your weight-loss goals.
Ami in OH
ami

A Refreshing Breakfast Smoothie/DD/3/7/12

Postby ami » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:06 pm

A Refreshing Breakfast Smoothie

Do busy mornings cause you to reach for something quick that’s not exactly on your diet? We have a healthy solution: This delicious, creamy smoothie is perfect for hectic mornings because it can be prepared in a snap and it travels well.

Almond Energy Blast (Phase 1)

Description
You’ll go nuts for this creamy drink. Fresh almonds, along with silken tofu, yogurt, and soy milk, offer a satiating punch of protein that will help you power through the morning. This one whips up quickly in a blender and travels well in a thermos for breakfast on the go. Silken tofu, available at health food stores and many supermarkets, is great for shakes and smoothies because of its smooth texture.

Prep time: 5 minutes

Makes 2 (1-cup) servings

Ingredients
1 cup low-fat, low-sugar vanilla soymilk
3/4 cup plain nonfat or low-fat yogurt
6 ounces firm silken tofu
1/4 cup dry-roasted almonds

Instructions
Place soy milk, yogurt, tofu, and almonds in a blender. Blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Serve cold.

Nutritional information
Per (1-cup) serving:
250 calories
12 g fat (1 g sat)
22 g carbohydrate
15 g protein
2 g fiber
130 mg sodium
Ami in OH
ami

Return to South Beach Diet Recipe and Food Area