Diet Alternative- Proactol Plus (Ads) | Home :: South Beach Diet | Food List | Recipes | Related Books and Grocery Shopping (Amazon)

Can you roast cabbage?

Share your favourite recipes here.

Moderators: KristyW, Magna, Kimboroni

Can you roast cabbage?

Postby KilamanjaroBound » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:50 pm

Had anyone tried to roast cabbage? I know an indian dish that is kind of like this. the cabbage is kind of crunchy and dry when it's done, like a dry slaw, but cooked a bit.

Has anyone done this or have a recipe for this? I don't want to ruin a whole head of cauliflower testing. Any advice would be appreciated.
KilamanjaroBound

Postby bobojd05 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:01 pm

I have roasted brussel sprouts and cauliflower, both with fantastic results. I would be willing to give cabbage a try.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
bobojd05

Postby surfer376 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:15 pm

Roasted Cabbage with Bacon
Makes 6 wedges, serving 4-6 people.

2 lb. head of green cabbage
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
4 oz. good quality slab bacon, diced into 1/4-inch cubes (Turkey Bacon)
coarse sea salt
red wine vinegar or lemon wedges
Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Trim the stem of the cabbage and remove one layer of the outer leaves. Cut the cabbage in half, and cut each half into three even wedges. Coat a rimmed baking sheet with the oil and place the cabbage wedges 1-inch apart on the sheet. Scatter the bacon over the cabbage.

Roast the cabbage for 20-30 minutes until richly browned on the bottom. Turn the wedges over and roast for 20-30 minutes longer until the bottom is richly browned again. Remove any dried outer leaves. Sprinkle with the coarse salt and serve with vinegar or lemon wedges.
Copyright © 2000-2005, Karen Barnaby. All rights reserved
http://www.lowcarb.ca/karen/recipe067.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This sounds good...wonder if turkey bacon will work?
Chari
surfer376

Postby KilamanjaroBound » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:37 pm

That does sound good. I think I'll skip the bacon. I'm making a pork roast for dinner, so I don't want too much fat.

Yes, I'll give it a try. I'll let you know how it comes out.

I'm stuffing my pork roast with an apple. It makes wonderful flavor!
KilamanjaroBound

Postby KilamanjaroBound » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:36 am

ok, here's the verdict.

I cut the cabbage into 6 wedges and put them curvy side down in a casserole dish. I drizzled with olive oil and liberally sprinkled with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper.

I roasted at 350 until the tips of the wedges were crispy.

I ate and pronounced it delicious :) So did DH.

Were I to make it again I'd make one small change. I'd rest it cut side down and on a rack, so the moisture could drain out the bottom. The way I did it it kind of pooled on the curvy leaves, so the ones in the middle were steamed, not roasted.
KilamanjaroBound

Postby caterpillar » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:18 am

I have roasted chopped cabbage before. It's delicious, and in fact is one of my three-year old daughter's favorite snacks!
Female, 5'5''
Goal: 135, stronger, & healthier!
caterpillar

Postby surfer376 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:00 am

I found this tonite...

BRAISED CABBAGE & ONIONS (Serves 4)
1/2 med-lg. head cabbage
2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 med. yellow onion, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 c. water
1/4 tsp. salt
1. Cut the piece of cabbage in half and trim away the core. Cut the cabbage into 1/2-in. slices and set aside.
2. Coat a large nonstick skillet with the olive oil and place over med. heat. Add the onions and thyme, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, for abt. 3 min. or until the onions start to soften (do not let them brown).
3. Add the cabbage, water and salt to the skillet and reduce the heat to med-low. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for abt. 10 min. or until the cabbage is wilted and tender. Add a little more water during cooking if the skillet becomes too dry, keeping only enough liquid in the skillet to prevent scorching. Serve hot.
Nutritional Facts (per 3/4 c. serving):
Calories: 60; Carbs: 9g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Fat: 2.6g; Fiber: 3.4g; Protein: 2.1g; Sodium: 167mg; Calcium: 63mg; GI Rating: Very Low
surfer376

Postby bobojd05 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:46 pm

I have a recipe similar to that, but it's braised with red onions and apples. When I'm feeling it, I'll get it out and share.

TY Kilamanjaro, for doing the research. I'm asking the BF to pick up a head of cabbage today, and will do the rack thing.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
bobojd05

Postby carolie » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:32 am

Kilamanjaro,

I made the roasted cabbage like you posted and was it ever delicious! The only thing we did differently was to add a light sprinkle of parmesan cheese after we took it out of the oven. The browner the leaves, the yummier they were. I've never had roasted cabbage before but I will definitely be making it again soon! My daughter and I basically finished off a whole head between us. :shock:

:)
Been beachin' since 8/1/04
Goal - I'll let ya know when I get there ;)

[url=http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4895]FAQ's
[/url]Recipes
carolie

Postby pb&j » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:05 pm

i wonder if this would be even better if we could split the wedges up a little - pull them apart into a few more sections. would produce more brown crispy leaves. I'll give it a try and let you all know.

also - i've made other cabbage dishes w/ fresh dill & garlic and the flavors work well together, so I may give that a try
pb&j

Postby paiger81 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:33 pm

pb&j wrote:i wonder if this would be even better if we could split the wedges up a little - pull them apart into a few more sections. would produce more brown crispy leaves. I'll give it a try and let you all know

I did that this weeked....I only had half a cabbage, so I chunked it as best I could, then divided some of the thicker parts. SOOOOOOO GOOD and you get extra brown-ness.
paiger81

Postby TNgirl » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:33 pm

Caterpillar - how do you roast the chopped cabbage?
TNgirl

Postby caterpillar » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:07 am

TNgirl: I didn't really pay close attention when I did it, but as I recall, I preheated the oven to 450 (same as I do popcorn cauliflower at). The cabbage was chopped into pieces that were about 1 inch square (maybe a bit bigger). I stirred in a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper -- very simple. Then, since I like my veggies good and browned, I just watched and stirred until they were done just right for me.

Here's the thing, though: with cauliflower and most other roasting veggies, browner is better. But with the cabbage, some of the pieces that had gotten really brown were pretty bitter tasting. I was kind of disappointed b/c I was looking forward to something crunchy and browned. But the taste was really excellent, even though they weren't crunchy. So basically, I'd recommend stopping when the edges turn a nice brown, but not *crispy deep brown*.

Note: roasting veggies makes for a very messy pan. The sugars in the veggies carmelize in the bottom of the pan -- hard to clean. I often use parchment paper in the bottom of my pan to avoid the hassle.
Female, 5'5''
Goal: 135, stronger, & healthier!
caterpillar

Postby Dolly-VA » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:46 pm

What happened to the good old days of nearly instant, soggy veggies for dinner?! :lol: It's gotten so that veggies are the dinner item that takes the longest for me to cook now! Anyway, I haven't tried roasting cabbage, but will! Sounds YUM! Thanks for the recipe(s)!
Restarted 3/14/11 directly into Phase 2.
Needing to re-lose 13 lbs.
Current weight loss: 3 lbs (as of 3/20/11)
Dolly-VA

Postby kjj3kids » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:23 am

I made surfer376's recipe for Roasted Cabbage with Bacon tonight and LOVED it!!! I cut the cabbage into bite size pieces, tossed with olive oil, put on sprayed jelly roll pan lined with tin foil, sprinkled with pepper and then topped with chopped bacon. Cooked as directed but did not add the vinegar or lemon as it was really good just like that.
Phase 3, Female 49, Height 5' 7"
BW 138.5, GW 130
kjj3kids

Next

Return to South Beach Diet Recipe and Food Area