Diet Alternative- Proactol Plus (Ads) | Home :: South Beach Diet | Food List | Recipes | Related Books and Grocery Shopping (Amazon)

Dessert Alternatives in Phase One

Share your favourite recipes here.

Moderators: KristyW, Magna, Kimboroni

Re: almond pound cake...

Postby Tsubaki » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:06 pm

ev5498045 wrote:2 C. almond meal or flour (Pecan and hazelnut works as well)

:shock: What in the world is that? O.o in my country don't have such ingredientes..so i want to know and the try to vary the recipe

ALSO I would like to know if i can make the beans Instead of buying them on a market.. so how much time I have to cook them? and with only wather, or something else like salt?

:oops: thanks
Tsubaki

Postby nygirl22 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:50 pm

almond flour is just almonds ground almost to a flour. you can put them in a coffee grinder and it will get them pretty darn close to a flour-consistency... or just put them in a food processor, and if they are finely ground, that'll work too. (some stores sell hazelnut flour around here, but it's very expensive) so grinding any of those listed will work.
nygirl22

Postby LibbyD » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:19 pm

Hello Tsubaki

What is your country? Maybe you can give us the recipe for a favorite dessert in your country. A cultural exchange!

Cooking your own beans is easy but takes time. You must soak them in water for about 6-8 hours first. Just put them in a bowl and add enough water so that it is about an inch above the top of the beans. (I usually let them soak over night and cook them the next day).

After they have soaked, pour out the water and rinse them in some fresh water. Pour that water out too, and put the beans in a heavy pot that has a tight-fitting lid (like cast iron). Add just enough fresh water to cover the beans, put the lid on the pot and put the pot on the stove burner at the lowest heat setting. Let them cook on this low heat for about two hours. While they cook check them every now and then to make sure the water does not evaporate. If it does, just add more. Also stir them occassionally. Try tasting the beans to make sure they are cooked all the way.

Good luck!
Less is More.
LibbyD

Postby Tsubaki » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:02 am

:D thanks you LibbyD

that's tyhe way we cook beans here too.. but i didn't know if I have to add salt or anything cos we never do beans... with beans XD!!! ( we add other things... something like mexicans but without chile)

:roll: by the way...I'm from Chile, and the only recipes I have for P1 is an "invention" I made

I put 480 g of natural low-fat yogurt on a pot (bowl..or recipent...wathever)
and I add liquid non-sugar JUM ( I prepare it with a normal diet jum in a cup of hot wather) I let it rest a bit , till the jum get's more cold
then mix it with the yogurt... next send it to the refrigerator till it's "solid"

xD!! my english is very bad so... T_T

>=D I do this cos I hate the flavor of natural yogurth (I preffer berries flavored jum cos they are more sweet and kill the acid of the yogurt) ... also this amounts can be changed...I only use them cos I get the exact taste for me

see it's not something great... insteand that, I have some good recipes for phase two...but I have probles with the names of some ingredientes like:

Porotos con mote / beans with mote ( the seed of the flour I think XD)
and things like that =D also we eat a lot of fish and shells ( crustaceos?)

:P thanks again..sorry for not to be of any kind of help with recipes
Tsubaki

Postby LibbyD » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:18 am

Tsubaki

Hello to Chile! You write English very well.

The beans need to be plain ( made without spices and other things) when you want to use them in the dessert recipes we are talking about here, although salt would probably be okay. And you may add some things later, like cinnamon and Splenda if the dessert recipe calls for it.

If you look at Burdle's bean recipes (posted at the top of this forum) you will see that we use all kinds of ingredients in our beans when we make them for a meal with meat and vegetables. I like to cook my beans with garlic, onions and peppers, salt, pepper and other spices.

I don't like plain yogurt either.
I can see from looking at your recipe that we have different names and types of products. It must be very difficult to read our recipes and understand our products too!
For instance, what is JUM? Is that a brand/product name or is it a type of food?
It is hard to tell if it's something we use with some other name, or if it's something we don't have here in the U.S..

I found this website about Chilean food which mentions beans with mote:
http://www.nuestro.cl/eng/stories/recov ... igenas.htm
Less is More.
LibbyD

Postby Tsubaki » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:57 pm

xD!!! of abouth the JUM it was my mistake

(a day I saw de fairly goodfather and the told JUM to JELLY)

JUM= JELLY ... we call it jalea

I was confuse...cos jelly for you is sominthing like JUM (that you put on a brad..)... but for us JELLY it's a dust we made with wather and let it freze ( that jelly...that is made with a part of some bones)

:? maybe I'm explain it the bad way... when you are on a hospital...the nurse give you that all day after an operation T_T

:oops: hope someone can understand me
Tsubaki

Postby LibbyD » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:14 pm

Jalea sounds like our Jello which is also a powder/dust (a gelatin powder) to which we add water and it gets solid in the refrigerator.

When I was a child and was sick my mother would heat some water, pour in some Jello (usually strawberry flavor) and serve it to me warm, before it became solid. I'm not sure why it was considered good for my health but I enjoyed it!
Less is More.
LibbyD

Postby papernut » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:40 pm

Tried the bean brownies and we LOVE them. Will definitely put them on our dessert list.

For those who have given up on the ricotta recipe in the book and don't like it, maybe you have tried the wrong ricotta. I have learned that if I buy store brand rather than the name brand (I use Frigo) they are a little more grainy and sometimes that can be hard to get past.

A friend of mine who was on WW until she lost almost 100 lbs. developed a cheese cake recipe using ricotta. It is a recipe we use probably more for dessert than any because it can be altered for so many different tastes.

Ricotta Cheese Cake

1 15 oz container of low-fat ricotta (use good quality)
2 eggs
1 8 oz 1/3 less cream cheese
3/4 cup sweetner (I use Whey Low)
1 tsp. or more of vanilla

That's it! Couldn't be easier and you are putting it in the oven in only 5 min. Mix well and bake in a pie pan sprayed with Pam. Bake at 350 for 30 or 40 min. It will be done when the edges are a nice golden brown.
You won't miss the crust.

Serve as above plain or with fresh fruit and whipped topping.
Vary the flavoring. We have used maple extract and maple powder to make a maple cheese cake. I top it with whipped topping and one chopped walnut half. Sometimes I put most of the batter in the pan and add cocoa powder to the remainder and make a marble cheese cake. Or add more cocoa and make an entire cheesecake chocolate.
With all the different extract flavorings there are this could be just about any taste you want.
papernut

Postby Dee011 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:57 pm

I have made Almond Pound Cake and its excellent, I eat it for breakfast and that replaces my nut and sweets allowance for today.
1th Goal: 157 lb
2nd Goal: 147 lb
3th Goal: 137 lb
Start Weight: 167 lb
Dee011

Postby Tsubaki » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:33 am

:cry: I'm so sad

I finally try the black bean cake (or browni XD)

and it was a failure

didn't taste so good

and I can feel the teaste of beans T_T!!!!!!!!!!!

:cry: what I did wrong?

it looks like a cake but didn't taste like one :(
Tsubaki

Postby nygirl22 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:46 pm

Tsubaki wrote::cry: I'm so sad

I finally try the black bean cake (or browni XD)

and it was a failure

didn't taste so good

and I can feel the teaste of beans T_T!!!!!!!!!!!

:cry: what I did wrong?

it looks like a cake but didn't taste like one :(

some people like it, some people don't.

you can try different variations of it to find one that you like. in the recipe forum, there are lots of links to the bean cakes / muffins. the lemon ginger one is a favorite of lots. i like the plain one ("sugar bean")... but i also put 2 T of ww flour in it which was recommend in the past.. i suggest doing this if you're in phase 2. if you used black beans, you can try white beans (navy, great northern, etc.). and make sure you're rinsing them very well.

one thing to remember is this will not taste just like a "real" brownie or "real" sugar cookies, etc. etc. i think the longer you've been doing sb, the more your tastes change, and these things are a nice treat
nygirl22

Postby papernut » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:39 pm

Tsubaki, try other beans rather than the black ones. I usually make mine with the great northern and a friend has good luck with butterbeans. I have found that among my many baking pans that a square one I used makes them taste funny so I either make them in cupcake papers which are already portioned or use one of my Corning Ware pie pans. This makes them taste better. The square metal pan gives them a funny taste. Also, rather than add a few chocolate chip pieces to the batter I wait until the brownies come out of the oven to put a few on top to melt. When melted I spread it over the top for an icing.
I also cut back from 4 to 3 large eggs without affecting the results.
papernut

Postby Tsubaki » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:12 am

:lol: it's funny

today the "browni" taste much better than yesterday XD (or it was my hungry )

I don't know way.. I still can taste a "strange" flavor but is much better than yesterday, I think that I can eat it now (instead of trowing it to the garbage can)

:oops: thanks for the advacies.. maybe I was expecting too much from the browni XD
Tsubaki

Postby recipelover » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:44 pm

I also add some caramel extract (Watkins product) or almond extract for a different flavor. We keep ours in the freezer individually wrapped in plastic. Then we just grab one when we want it. I like mine a little cold or room temp, but my husband likes his nuked to warm and the choc chips are soft.

We like the black bean ones, but I also make them with cannelini (white kidney beans) when I run out of black.
(*;*)
I love recipes so I put together the:
Recipe summary Sticky arranged by categories: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=97961
recipelover

Postby p_wreath » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:01 am

I've made the bean brownie recipe a few times, altering it a little bit each time and I've finally hit on the perfect recipe. At least it is for me and my DH. The key, for me, is to make the flavor really rich so as to disguise any trace of beans. I'm sharing it with you all because I've taken so many of your ideas and, hopefully, this will return the favor. These are moist and dense brownies, not at all like a cake. Enjoy!! :D

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1 can of Great Northern White Beans (these are the smallest white beans I can find), rinsed thoroughly and drained
1/4 cup lowfat ricotta cheese
3 tbsp canola oil
1 heaping cup granular Splenda
3/4 cup egg substitute (or 3 eggs, if you want)
4-5 tbsp cocoa powder, unsweetened
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp (-ish) Torani English Toffee syrup, sugar free

Pour into an 8x8 pan (I grease it with a bit of canola oil spray)
Bake for 25 minutes (I find that undercooking them by a few minutes makes for a moister, denser brownie)
Heidi

SW: 180
1st goal: 168
Visit My Journal
p_wreath

PreviousNext

Return to South Beach Diet Recipe and Food Area