Diet Alternative- Proactol Plus (Ads) | Home :: South Beach Diet | Food List | Recipes | Related Books and Grocery Shopping (Amazon)

Substitutions for Summer Salads

Share your favourite recipes here.

Moderators: KristyW, Magna, Kimboroni

Substitutions for Summer Salads

Postby tlcovey » Wed May 19, 2004 2:57 pm

Moving into summer time, I am really missing potatoe and pasta salads. Anybody have any ideas for replacments. I took down the recipe for the Zesty Lemon Broccoli Salad, and might try a coleslaw/broccoli slaw type salad, but does anybody have any other ideas.

Trish :wink:
tlcovey

Postby CSC » Wed May 19, 2004 3:02 pm

You could make a wide variety of chicken, tuna or egg salads. I like tomatos, white onions and avocados tossed with olive oil and cilantro. Or you could even have a modest portion of guacamole. Jicama is allowed, so you could add it to any kind of salad for crunch and slight sweetness. Or maybe a black bean salad with onions, tomatos, beans and cilantro.
I think I'm just about ready for lunch!
CSC
CSC

Postby casaloma » Sat May 22, 2004 5:05 pm

How about using cooked cauliflower chunks (microwaved or boiled until crisp-tender) and a SBD modified potato/cole slaw dressing?
Sort of a "Mock Potato Salad."
casaloma

Postby CheriM » Sat May 22, 2004 5:47 pm

Ooooh! I really like the idea of mock potato salad! I'll be trying that!
162/156/145
CheriM

Postby daekan » Sun May 23, 2004 11:45 am

Using ww pasta, there isn't any reason you can't make a pasta salad. Just make sure you pick your add ins to fit the SB. {vegetables, cheeses, meats and olives or whatever else you choose} and make your own dressing out of olive oil, vinegar and spices.

Macaroni salad would be a bit harderer even with ww pasta, because of all the mayo. But, it could probably still be done if you can come up with a dressing made of ff PLAIN yougart and spices.
Make yourself aware - get educated about AUTISM!
daekan

Postby cheermomma » Sun May 23, 2004 12:40 pm

Cheri, this is from PaulaP a fe weeks ago. Haven't tried it, but it sounds worth a try :D !

"First of all, I prefer to use fresh cauliflower rather than frozen for the salad. Cut it into small florets; I like mine kind of chunky. Then I boil it in salted water just until tender - don't let it get mushy - and then drain it very well. Add one or two finely chopped boiled eggs, a glob of mayo, some mustard, diced celery, chopped dill pickles, Mt. Olive chopped sweet pickles (made with Splenda) and chopped green olives. Mix well and serve right away or refrigerate. You can add chopped onions if you like them. Sometimes I boil chopped onions with the cauliflower for the flavor."
cheermomma

Postby speechie » Tue May 25, 2004 8:53 pm

There's a recipe for potato salad in the orange book that uses sweet potatoes.
speechie

summer salads

Postby recipelover » Tue May 25, 2004 9:02 pm

Check out my three side dishes that I posted earlier. One is a Pepper Pea Salad that people like and then my favorite: Cucumber Apple Radish with a sour cream, lemon, dill dressing. Here is the link.

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/for ... php?t=9340
recipelover

Postby Pnut_shell » Tue May 25, 2004 9:51 pm

I've tried the mock potato salad..it's pretty good
Pnut_shell

Another possible salad

Postby recipelover » Wed May 26, 2004 12:04 pm

Here is another salad that everyone to whom I have served it, loves it! It is great for summer because you don't need to worry about mayonnaise in the warm weather.

MARINATED TOMATO SALAD

40 cherry tomatoes, cut in half (or 2 regular tomatoes cut in pieces)
1 c. sliced green olives
6 oz. can black olives, sliced
2 green onions, minced (can use chopped sweet onion instead)
3 oz. pine nuts, roasted

Put pine nuts in a pan and roast over medium heat just until they start to brown. Watch them carefully--shake the pan to move them around as they toast. Remove from heat and cool. Mix the tomatoes, olives and onions in a bowl. Make the dressing; pour over and stir. Add pine nuts and marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour.

Dressing: 1/2 c. olive oil, 2 T. red wine vinegar (I use Heinz cider vinegar instead), 1 T. Splenda, 1 tsp. dried oregano, salt/pepper to taste.
recipelover

more recipes

Postby recipelover » Thu May 27, 2004 11:55 am

It would be nice if we could keep this thread going with more good summer-style recipes for salads or side dishes. Memorial Day and picnics are just around the corner.....
recipelover

Postby mimouna » Thu May 27, 2004 12:48 pm

well, since it seems an opportune time to post salad recipes, i'll post one of my favorites, a lentil salad:

All measurements are approximates, since i never measure...

1 cup lentils
1 small/medium red onion, diced
1 yellow pepper, diced
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped + 1 sprig

Dressing:
3 tsp whole grain dijon mustard
4 TB balsamic vinegar
1 TB fresh garlic, minced
3 TB olive oil

1 cup lf feta/bulgarian cheese, crumbled
Bitter lettuce leaves like radicchio or arugula

Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Boil a pot of water, cook lentils for about 20-25 minutes or until tender with a sprig of fresh parsley and a shake of salt. Drain well, discard sprig. Combine well drained lentils with the chopped onion, pepper, and parsley. Put the dressing ingredients in jar - close and shake to blend. Pour over lentils and veggies. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm or cold over lettuce leaves, generously sprinkled with the feta.
mimouna

salads

Postby laucala » Thu May 27, 2004 2:17 pm

Well we have winter starting and am sick of salads at lunch,in the SBD book lunches seem to be always salads,any other sugestions,no bread.
:)
laucala

Postby recipelover » Mon May 31, 2004 2:53 am

Bumping this up to try to get more salad ideas.
recipelover

Postby cheermomma » Mon May 31, 2004 1:47 pm

This is a good, cold, filling bean salad I make all the time....

Tangy Bean Salad

1/4 c. vinegar
2 TBSP Splenda
1 tsp. grated onion
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. celery seed
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1/8 tsp. paprika
1/4 (or less) canola oil

1/2 cucumber, diced
1/2 c. celery, diced
1 can kidney beans (15 oz)

In medium bowl, combine vinegar, splenda, onion, salt, celery seeds, dry mustard and paprika. Whisk in canola oil. Add kidney beans, cucumber and celery.

Sometimes I put cherry tomatoes in it. It's also good with cut-up cooked chicken and ff american cheese. You can use less oil, too, I often do. Also, the original recipe called for thechicken, tomatoes, and lettuce, but that makes it more of a main dish type thing.
cheermomma

Next

Return to South Beach Diet Recipe and Food Area