Diet Alternative- Proactol Plus (Ads) | Home :: South Beach Diet | Food List | Recipes | Related Books and Grocery Shopping (Amazon)

jh on sb

Introduce yourself and goals, keep it updated regularly.

Moderators: KristyW, Magna, Kimboroni

Re: jh on sb

Postby masm2 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:17 pm

Hey Judi-

Such an exciting Saturday for you! I was wondering how his music progressing and how his new school was working out for him.

You seem to have a good mind set with your food now and it shows with your weight loss. Each day is a fresh start. I hope you have a good day today!

Take care,
Mary Ann
masm2

Postby masm2 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:25 pm

Hey Judi,

Just checking in with you-

It is a new week-I'll take it one day at a time. Hopefully, it will be crisis free...but I doubt it!

Take care,
Mary Ann
masm2

Postby Beaching It » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:24 am

Hey Judi, congratulations to Michael! I've been following him on FB and sounds like he's doing awesome! Sounds like you are too. GREAT for you. Keep up the great work and positive energy all around. :wink:
Highest weight - 185
CW - 148.9
Goal 1 - 140 by cruise November 2014
Beaching It

Postby jhderm » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:40 pm

Hi Lisa, thank you, Michael is doing really great. Check out his album, "An anthem to forget" on www.MichaelEliran.com.

Hope you are doing well, are you on vacation yet?

Me- tagging along. Hanging on to the 5 lbs loss, trying to move ahead and lose more.

Judi
jhderm

Postby masm2 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:55 pm

Hoo Ray!
Judi is here today!

Hey Judi,

I am sorry the group was not a good fit for you. Keep looking and you will find what you need to help you along. However, you are doing good on your own right now. Anytime a loss is maintained is progress in my book. I am keeping track of calories for the first time in my life and I think that it helping me stay focused this time around. Still eating SB, but we all know that we can overdo the "good for you" food at times.

I even made some "Turkey Balls" last week that I liked. I mixed in some cooked quinoa and for me that really improved the texture. Now I have some in my freezer to heat up when I do not want to cook!

Take care,
Mary Ann
masm2

Postby jhderm » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:23 pm

Mary Ann,

So nice to see you!

I agree- not gaining is already good esp in face of eating more last week than before. So I will call it luck and back to watching it.

The group is a mixed bag. I am still undecided if to give it more of a chance or not. It has some benefits but not sure if it's worth the effort.

Counting calories is shocking - you see how quickly they add up. As I said in Lisa's jrnl, I started losing when I began to weigh my protein portions and realized that 3-4 oz is NOT much to eat but it all counts :-( So do keep counting. It has to be the right foods in the right amounts. Having said that, you are always so capable of figuring things out for yourself and holding yourself accountable, you will keep doing great. Throw away the scale and watch the portion, the pants will fall off you soon!

And to all others, wishing you a good Sunday. I have to find more time to go around and see what Chris, Maureen, Jeff and some others are up to. And what happened to Camby? We lost a few along the way :-(

Judi
jhderm

Postby Chris55 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:08 pm

Hi, Judi! Thanks for stopping by my journal and giving me a little poke! I started tracking my eating again and am trying hard to get back on track this week. It's soooo hard. My son keeps bringing home fresh crusty bread from work and it's so easy to just start slicing off little bits and dipping them in olive oil. Luckily today he brought back a sliced loaf for sandwiches, which isn't anywhere near as tempting! So I've not succumbed today and am getting ready to put a nice chicken and some veggies in the oven. Gotta concentrate on increasing the veggie intake and decreasing everything else - portion creep is happening to all of us :wink:
Restart 9/1/14. Weight: 202.6
Current: 200.2
Goal: 192.6 by 12/25/14
Beginning Wt: 191.6. On 1/09
Goal #1 Met: 160.0 7/09
Goal #2 Met: 155.0 3/10
Ultimate goal: 150-155 without having to kill myself exercising or give up chocolate, ice cream, or wine!
Chris55

Postby jhderm » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:35 pm

So, after last week and putting back 2 lbs of what I lost, the last 3 days I cut down on portions, no wine and no late night food, but am still stuck on the scale.

Started drinking 2 glasses of water after waking and before sleep. The bottled stuff is easier to get down than the faucet variety, but some nights I forget.

Anyway, waiting for the scale to move.

Eating Scandinavian bran crisp bread w cottage cheese, egg salad, spicy tofu salad etc- TONS of fiber, little absorbed, and 12 cal/slice. Not as good as bagels, but not as "bad" either! :evil:

Good day to all off to work.
jhderm

Postby masm2 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:59 pm

Hey Judi,

Water and fiber are two of my best friends! I drink coffee in the am...water and decaf hot tea in the afternoon...water all night until about 9:00. Fiber in food-so far no fiber supplements-those things scare me!

"They" say that when you feel hungry..."you" should drink a glass of water. That thirst is often mistaken for hunger. I just know I feel better when I get a lot of fluids daily.

I hope you have a great weekend-

Take care,
Mary Ann
masm2

Postby jhderm » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:01 pm

Hi Mary Ann

Well, finally the scaled went down 1lb- hardly ate food this week! :(

The scandinavian stuff is so much fiber, and it makes the stuff you eat with it feel like you have eaten something. I do it w egg salad, spicy tofu salad (buy at the health food store), etc. I also put cottage cheese into red pepper boats, anything to create an illusion of eating more than I really am.

Don't care about anything just to drop about 20 lbs or so, then maintain.

And yes, I am drinking a lot of water.

Also decided that I will get off at work 2 flights early and start walking up; slowly increase by one flight each time. When I arrive late though I don't do it....

So this is the state of affairs. I just want to go on a roll and drop some weight.

Have a good weekend!

Judi
jhderm

Postby Beaching It » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:13 pm

Hey Judi, you are right about portion sizes. I started counting calories with an iPhone app called 'my fitness pal' a while ago and it was shocking how much those calories add up. But it's also important to make sure that how much you're eating is not way over what you think it is which is where scales come in handy... although SB is not about counting calories or weighing food. I find I've tried a bit of everything since being here the last few years and although my weight is not where I want it to be, I know I would be MUCH heavier had I not been here with all you great folks!!

I agree with MaryAnne on the fluid. I too feel best when I'm eating lots of fiber and drinking tons of water. I find lemon in the water helps a lot. The last couple of days for me have not been good but I need to put on my big girl panties and move forward. :mrgreen:

Hope you have a great weekend.
Highest weight - 185
CW - 148.9
Goal 1 - 140 by cruise November 2014
Beaching It

Postby jhderm » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:42 pm

Lisa

When the SB rules assume no counting of calories, I think they are optimistic about portion sizes. You can eat way too much of the right things and don't drop any weight. Of course, exercise helps, but you have no problems in that area! :lol:

I am barely but just hanging on to that one lb loss, up and down 1/2 lb- now w the digital scale it's too much perhaps, too many digits after the lb...

Trying to figure out how to best survive Oscar night w some guests without ruining it.

Hope you are doing well! Water and fiber is king!

judi
jhderm

Postby masm2 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:44 pm

Hey Judi,

Hope you are having a good week...so far. So you bought a new scale and I bought some fiber pills.

Not for me-really they are for DD. She thinks she is having some symptoms of IBS. I think she is just not eating right or sleeping normally...she is just in college with a crazy schedule. She is lactose intolerant and I think she is consuming too much "hidden" dairy. Any way-I looked into IBS and she does also consume a lot of the trigger foods and it is suggested that you take fiber before each meal. (old school SBD) So, I thought I would take it for a few days before I suggested it to her. She took lactose pills while she was in Italy last summer and that helped her a lot too. So if 2 supplements would help enough to make a difference it is worth a try. I know she is not taking the lactose pills now.

Have a good "leap day" today!

Mary Ann
masm2

Postby jhderm » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:16 pm

Hi Mary Ann

New scale is digital, drives me even crazier than good old doctor's scale. Will probably take back.

Oscar night was bad - had some company, helped them eat crackers, cheese and almonds, no portion control :evil:
Recovered Monday and yesterday. This morning, got on the dreadmill for 25 min, first in a long time, to move things along.
Now I just have to master OnaMi's attitude and I am good :)

Don't know that much about IBS, but if fiber is good, DD should of course use it. The Scandinavian Bran Crackers are a tastier way to get in the fiber, perhaps she would like that w something on it- spread, avocado, whatever. For lactose intolerance, the pills are easy but there is also a lot of lactose free dairy out there (milk, etc), so check out the supermarket. We use Lactaid milk, i case you haven't come across it.

How is DH? All is resolved now? He should be checked every 3 months the first year, every 6 after. And use sunscreen, hats, shirts and avoid the sun. Enough preaching?...Think so.

OK- off to start my day. Let's all hang in there. I gave away some old jeans from when I was about 35 years old, they were tiny...and even then, I always thought I was fat. I would probably have to lose 40lbs to get into them. Depressing. Even some of last and 2 years ago's pants need a little work to be usable. So I have no choice, got to stick to the plan this time. Enough is enough.

A great day to all!

Judi
jhderm

Postby masm2 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:49 pm

Hey Judi,

DH is looking and feeling better. The lines are now just a light pink and the skin graft survived and looks good. He will see the Mohs doc one more time later this month and then he will go back to the original dermatologist for the checks. I have relaxed a bit.

Well the idea for fiber in SB is to take it before meals and you we feel full so you won't you over eat. The IBS idea is that you should never eat a meal on an empty stomach. The fiber is soothing to the GI system so it helps lessen any adverse reaction to the foods. We have both been using soy milk for a long time. It is just that dairy by-products are in so many things. We both go through phases where we can tolerate more dairy for a while. I really try to avoid it, but she is not making most of her meals at home.

As they say "Attitude is Everything." I know onaMi has had hers switched on for a long time. You are getting there-day by day.

Take care,
Mary Ann
masm2

PreviousNext

Return to Your Diet Journal