Diet Alternative- Proactol Plus (Ads) | Home :: South Beach Diet | Food List | Recipes | Related Books and Grocery Shopping (Amazon)

Okay, list some of your favorite salad recipes here

Share your favourite recipes here.

Moderators: KristyW, Magna, Kimboroni

Layered Salad - P2

Postby ami » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:15 pm

While making my next week's menu I came across this salad from another froum:

Layered Salad (Phase 2)

1/2 head lettuce, or about 4 cups torn lettuces, mixed
1 can water chestnuts, chopped
1 med. purple onion, diced
8-10 oz. frozen green peas, thawed (I used to use the whole one lb. bag, but
cut it in half yesterday)
6 boiled eggs, chopped
2 large or 4-5 med. Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 cup mayonnaise (regular or light)
1/2 cup light sour cream (or fat free)
1 packet Splenda
1 teaspoon seasoning salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup shredded low-fat Cheddar cheese
4 slices turkey bacon, fried and crumbled

1. Make sure you have the boiled eggs ready, or cook them by placing in a pot of cold water, bring to a boil, cover with lid and let set for 12
minutes, then run cold water to cool them.

2. Layer in this order in a 12 cup container with a lid: lettuces, water chestnuts, onion, peas, eggs, and tomatoes.

3. In a separate bowl, combine mayo, sour cream, seasoning salt and garlic powder. Spread over top of salad like frosting.

4. Sprinkle shredded cheese, then bacon on top. Serve immediately or
refrigerate to blend flavors in topping. Best served with large spoon or fork and dig straight down to get all the layers...

Note:
If anyone wanted to add more protein to it they
could add chopped cooked chicken or tuna to one of the layers
if more protein is desired, and I didn't put that in the original.
I usually don't add meat; the eggs, cheese and bacon seem
to be enough.

Enjoy,
Ami in OH
ami

Re: Okay, list some of your favorite salad recipes here

Postby rhales199 » Sat May 30, 2009 10:41 pm

these look sooooo yummy, thought I'd give this thread a *bump*
6ft,33, hypothyroid, plantar fasciitis, Sleep Apnea, wifey & caregiver to a hunny w/ Cerebral Palsy, I've lost 80 lbs, 27 more to go!
no longer on Sb due to food sensitivities, but I still eat healthy!
SW- oct 2006 289lbs
GW- 182 lbs
rhales199

Postby rhales199 » Sun May 31, 2009 5:24 pm

This was today's email recipe from A Veggie Venture. This salad looks yummy, and is ingredients I can have (except maybe the orange, but that I can handle (I apparently have food sensitivities)), and have on hand
(could I use dried basil?)

Today's vegetable recipe: An unusual and refreshing salad, a bright mix of chopped fruits and vegetables tossed with no more than salt and pepper and a little cinnamon. Low carb. Weight Watchers 1 point. Vegan. No added fat.

So why is it that 'vegetables' are usually served as a side dish and 'fruit' as dessert?

This salad really surprised me. Not only is it pretty -- isn't it pretty?! -- but instead of being a 'savory' salad, as expected, it's a 'sweet' salad, despite having no added sugar. The fruit alone adds so much sweetness to the crunch of the vegetables -- it made for a wonderful light dessert two nights in a row, and I can't wait to make it again.

The salad's texture was best shortly after it was mixed but the flavors melded beautifully after resting a few hours that I'm happy to say that it can be made in advance a few hours or even overnight. You could use any vegetables, I suppose, but the cantaloupe and apple, the cucumber and peppers, all mixed with the citrus, well, they were just perfect, just perfect.

MIXED FRUIT & VEGETABLE SALAD P2
Hands-on time: 25 minutes
Time to table: 25 minutes
Makes about 4 cups

1 apple, skin on
1 cup cantaloupe
1/2 an English cucumber, skin on
2 bell peppers (I used 1 green and 1 yellow, red would have added color contrast)

1 orange
Zest and juice of a lime
Fresh basil, cut into ribbons
Cinnamon to taste
Salt & pepper to taste

Cut the apple, cantaloupe, cucumber and peppers into a small neat dice.

Zest the orange, then slice off the skin, cut the flesh into a small neat dice. Stir the orange zest, orange flesh and remaining ingredients into the fruit and vegetable mixture. Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with a sprinkle of additional cinnamon and a piece of fresh basil.

NUTRITION ESTIMATE
Per Cup: 79Cal; 0g Tot Fat; 0g Sat Fat; 0mg Cholesterol; 10mg Sodium; 20g Carb; 4g Fiber; 15g Sugar; 2g Protein; Weight Watchers 1 point

TODAY'S VEGETABLE RECIPE INSPIRATION
Adapted from my friend Nupur's blog One Hot Stove. Nupur is home visiting in India and her aunt made this lovely little salad. Thank you, Nupur, thank you, too, to her maushi! When I saw this salad, I just had to make it and I'm so glad that I did!
Last edited by rhales199 on Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6ft,33, hypothyroid, plantar fasciitis, Sleep Apnea, wifey & caregiver to a hunny w/ Cerebral Palsy, I've lost 80 lbs, 27 more to go!
SW- oct 2006 289lbs
GW- 182 lbs
rhales199

Postby Bill M » Sun May 31, 2009 7:08 pm

I just started doing this and it has become a staple: slice an avocado, I prefer mine not too soft. Litely top with some lo fat blue cheese dressing mixed with a dash of tapitio (a brandname very tasty mexican hot sauce)
Bill M

A Quick and Healthy Salad Idea

Postby ami » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:46 pm

A Quick and Healthy Salad Idea

Salads are a featured player on the South Beach Diet. What makes them so great is how healthy and versatile they are. Salads can be enjoyed for lunch or dinner as a hearty main entrée or as a lighter side dish. You can utilize a variety of foods to add flavor, such as cannellini beans, as in this bean and spinach salad recipe.

White Bean and Spinach Salad (Phase 1)

Description
Remarkably easy to prepare, this bean and spinach salad is also very tasty. Slice the red onion as thinly as possible; when you soak it in warm olive oil and lemon juice, the bite will mellow, leaving you with a sweet and flavorful red onion vinaigrette.

Prep time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 2 minutes

Serves 10

Ingredients
1 small red onion, very thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups (2 ounces) packed baby spinach
Freshly ground black pepper

Instructions
Combine onion, garlic, lemon juice, and salt in a large serving bowl; stir well.

Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat until just warm, about 2 minutes. Slowly and carefully pour warm oil over onion mixture (it will sizzle a bit). Stir well to combine and let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add beans and spinach to the vinaigrette, and toss well to coat. Season with pepper to taste, and serve.

Nutritional information
Per serving:
130 calories
6 g fat (1 g sat)
15 g carbohydrate
4 g protein
4 g dietary fiber
320 mg sodium
Ami in OH
ami

Make Over Your Salads/DD/1/22/10

Postby ami » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:48 pm

Tired of eating the same salad, day after day? An easy fix: Try experimenting with new ingredients, which is a great way to sneak in extra nutrients and help prevent food boredom. Here are a few alternatives to typical salad fixings, recommended for all Phases of the South Beach Diet, which can turn your next salad into a healthy meal:

* Choose a darker, more nutrient-dense green, such as baby spinach, arugula, or a spring mix, rather than iceberg lettuce.
* Opt for squash, eggplant, artichoke, and zucchini grilled with a touch of extra-virgin olive oil, instead of (or in addition to) more traditional ingredients, like tomatoes and cucumbers.
* Try avocado or olives for a touch of heart-healthy monounsaturated fat.
* Toss in grilled salmon, tuna, shrimp, or even tofu, rather than grilled chicken.
* Top with pecans, sunflower seeds, or another more exotic nut or seed, instead of buttery white-bread croutons.
* Make your own salad dressing with a mix of extra-virgin olive oil, mustard, balsamic vinegar, and garlic. Store-bought dressings are fine, too, as long as they don't contain more than three grams of sugar per two-tablespoon serving.
Ami in OH
ami

Postby living_out_loud » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:41 pm

Just reading the last post on this topic and I thought I would add a small and simple discovery I;ve made to get me out of the salad rut...The flavour of regular green salad can be amazingly altered just by adding a fresh herb. So far dill is my favourite but I've added cilantro, basil, mint. I add all the regular fixins to the salad and then pick a herb to add. I usually have some kind of herb around that I'm using for a different recipe. Really helps me to get out of the salad "blues".
~Michelle

SW 174
CW 140
GW 145
I am female and 5'5
living_out_loud

Postby kimmipoo57 » Tue May 04, 2010 2:16 am

I saw this on the food network the other day

BRUSSELL SPROUT SALAD any phase

6 cups cleaned outer leaves from sprouts, save the insides for another meal
(blanch in salted boiling water 2-3 minutes, remove quickly
and place in ice water to shock, then drain)
2 cups baby arugula
1 belgian endive sliced and separated
1/2 cup taosted slivered almonds
2 Tablespoons Romano or Parmesan cheese

toss all ingredients together

DRESSING

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup E.V.O.O
salt & pepper to taste

wisk all together, add to salad, toss and serve makes six side salads or four meals.
I don't ever repeat gossip.....So listen carefully.
kimmipoo57

A Quick a nd Healthy Salad/DD/1/16/11

Postby ami » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:11 pm

A Quick and Healthy Salad
Whether served as a side dish or entrée, for lunch or for dinner, salads are a featured player on the South Beach Diet. What makes them so great is how healthy and versatile they are. In addition to utilizing a wide variety of greens and lean sources of protein (from turkey and chicken to beans and grains), you can also jazz up your salads with the addition of nuts and even fruit (on Phase 2). Try this delicious white bean and spinach salad recipe for your next meal.

White Bean and Spinach Salad (Phase 1)

Description
Remarkably easy to prepare, this bean and spinach salad is also very tasty. Slice the red onion as thinly as possible; when you soak it in warm olive oil and lemon juice, the bite will mellow, leaving you with a delightfully sweet and flavorful red onion vinaigrette.

Make-Ahead: Vinaigrette can be made up to 1 day ahead and refrigerated in a covered container. Bring to room temperature before tossing with beans and spinach.

Prep time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 2 minutes

Makes 10 servings

Ingredients
1 small red onion, very thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups (2 ounces) packed baby spinach
Freshly ground black pepper

Instructions
Combine onion, garlic, lemon juice, and salt in a large serving bowl; stir well.

Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat until just warm, about 2 minutes. Slowly and carefully pour warm oil over onion mixture (it will sizzle a bit). Stir well to combine and let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add beans and spinach to the vinaigrette, and toss well to coat. Season with pepper to taste, and serve.

Nutritional information
Per serving:
130 calories
6 g fat (1 g sat)
15 g carbohydrate
4 g protein
4 g dietary fiber
320 mg sodium
Ami in OH
ami

A Healthy Side Salad/2/20/11

Postby ami » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:09 pm

A Healthy Side Salad

Nothing complements a meal quite like a healthy, delicious side salad. The high-fiber bean dish below also includes fresh vegetables and zesty seasonings. It’s the perfect accompaniment to a chicken, beef, or pork entrée. Simply add a little leftover chicken or meat to the salad for a light lunch the following day.

Cannellini Bean Salad (Phase 1)

Description
This quick, easy bean salad is great cold or at room temperature, making it a good take-along dish for work or a potluck. Serve it as a side with grilled chicken or fish. You can substitute 2 or 3 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs for dried and try dried basil in place of oregano, if you wish.

Prep time: 10 minutes

Makes 4 (1-cup) servings

Ingredients
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon minced red onion
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and diced
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 red bell pepper, finely diced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Instructions
Whisk together oil, vinegar, onion, and oregano in a large mixing bowl. Add cucumbers, beans, and bell pepper; toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

Nutritional information
Per (1-cup) serving:
180 calories
8 g fat (1 g sat)
22 g carbohydrate
7 g protein
5 g dietary fiber
80 mg sodium
Ami in OH
ami

Postby OldGreyBob » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:53 pm

My ideas of a salad for dinner, single serving. On a large salad plate layer the following:

1) 4 to 6 large romaine heart leaves, cut or torned into bite size pieces.
2) an equal or greater volume of spring greens
3) rings of red onion from a single slice of a large red onion
4) a medium tomato cut into 6 wedges
5) 1/8 cup of hulled sunflower seeds
6) 1/4 cup or less of blue cheese crumbles
7) 4 to 6 oz fillet of sauted salmon
Finish with a light sprinkling ot a light red wine dressing, about 1/8 cup

This salad is one of my favorite dinners. A whole meal on one plate. I like to have a club soda with a slice of lemon or lime with it - it does not over power the fine taste of the salad.

I make my sauted salmon by heating a turn of olive oil in a frypan. Sprinkle the salmon fillet with low sodium Monteral seasoning. When the oil is hot, put the salmon and saute it until the down side is browned. Turn over the salmon, add a splash of lemon or lime juice and cover the pan. Turn down the heat and let it go to the desired doneness.
I am a Phase 2, 64 YO retired, a type-2 diabetic, still a Gym Rat!
Restart into SBD weight of 229 on 01/01/2011
Current weight of 212 on 03/15/2011
Immediate goal of 205, future goal of 195
OldGreyBob

Make Over Your Salad/DD/5/30/11

Postby ami » Mon May 30, 2011 11:03 am

Make Over Your Salads

Tired of eating the same salad, day after day? Hit up your supermarket or farmers’ market for some new, seasonal ingredients. Getting creative with new flavors and textures is also a great way to sneak extra nutrients into your salad bowl. Here are a few alternatives to typical salad fixings that you can use to revamp your next salad on any Phase of the South Beach Diet:

Skip the iceberg lettuce and choose more nutrient-dense greens, such as baby spinach, romaine, arugula, or a spring mix like mesclun.
Take advantage of your barbecue and grill eggplant, artichokes, squash, fennel, or shiitake mushrooms with a basting of herb-infused extra-virgin olive oil.
Add sliced avocado or olives for a touch of heart-healthy monounsaturated fat. You can also slice up a hard-boiled egg and use some cornichons or anchovies as an alternative for olives.
Toss in grilled salmon, shrimp, or even tofu, rather than grilled chicken.
Top with a few chopped pecans or almonds, or a handful of sunflower seeds, instead of buttery white-bread croutons.
Make your own salad dressing with a mix of extra-virgin olive oil, Dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt, freshly ground black pepper, and fresh herbs. Trying a new store-bought dressing is fine, too, as long as it doesn’t contain more than 3 grams of sugar per 2-tablespoon serving.
Ami in OH
ami

Postby mummy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:09 pm

This is one of my favorite quick snack or lunch salad. It can be done several ways. So I will put the basic recipe and then put what else I have put in it before.

Tuna/Chicken Green Bean Salad

1 can of Tuna or Chicken in water drained
1 can of green beans drained
1 T lf mayo

Mix ingredients with your favorite seasoning (I use lemon pepper and garlic powder). Enjoy!

I also add 1-2 hard boiled eggs and crumbled turkey bacon.

The size of the can of meat would depend on whether you want it as a snack or a meal. I have varied the veggies before but green beans seem to be the best. This is a great salad for when I get home late from work and don't really want to cook.

I have also used chicken breast that I have prepared myself and then chopped up is REALLY good in it. Just use 1 chicken breast.
mummy

Postby rhales199 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:06 am

mummy wrote:I have also used chicken breast that I have prepared myself and then chopped up is REALLY good in it. Just use 1 chicken breast.

or you could probably use canned chicken.

that recipe sounds good!
SW- oct 2006 289lbs
GW- 182 lbs
rhales199

A Simple Warm-Weather Salad/DD/8/14/11

Postby ami » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:00 am

A Simple Warm-Weather Salad

Looking for a quick and easy meal on a sweltering summer day? There’s nothing quite like a refreshing salad brimming with the season’s freshest vegetables. Packed with juicy tomatoes, crisp cucumbers, green beans, and more, this healthy and flavorful salad is perfect for a light lunch or dinner.

Summer’s Bounty Greek Salad (Phase 1)

Description
Bursting with juicy tomatoes, snappy green beans, and cooling cukes, this salad is an easy put-together for any night of the week. If you have additional fresh herbs around, toss them in, too. Chopped chives and whole basil leaves are great flavor accents for this salad.

Makes 4 servings

Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes

Ingredients
8 ounces green beans, trimmed
1 (12-ounce) head romaine lettuce, chopped (6 cups)
2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
1 medium cucumber, halved lengthwise, seeded, and thinly sliced
4 ounces reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled (2/3 cup)
1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, sliced
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Instructions
Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add beans and cook just until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain in a colander and run under very cold water for 1 minute to stop cooking. Drain again and pat dry. Cut beans into 1" pieces.

In a large bowl, combine beans, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, feta, and olives. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper; pour over salad and toss to coat. Divide salad among 4 plates and sprinkle with parsley just before serving.

Nutritional information
Per (2 1/2 cup) serving:
180 calories
12 g fat (3 g sat)
13 g carbohydrate
9 g protein
6 g fiber
550 mg sodium
Ami in OH
ami

PreviousNext

Return to South Beach Diet Recipe and Food Area