Diet Alternative- Proactol Plus (Ads) | Home :: South Beach Diet | Food List | Recipes | Related Books and Grocery Shopping (Amazon)

Getting lots of pop ups

Having problems using this forum? Please post here. This is where you can also make suggestions on the improvement of this Board. Please let us know what we can do to make this better for you.

Moderators: KristyW, Magna, Kimboroni

Getting lots of pop ups

Postby loserwant2b » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:12 pm

Hi Redrox!

I have been getting stupid Pop ups every time I enter the board or navigate from one forum to the next. I have my blocker turned on and don't get them anywhere else on the internet. They are all related to diet (acia berry mostly). After I 'X' out of the pop up then a voice comes on my speakers for a minute and I can't figure out how to shut her up other than mute. I've not tried leaving the website to see if she stays with me.

Anyway - any ideas - it is a board advertising support thing or something?
I want to be the kind of woman who - when my feet hit the floor each morning - the devils says, "Oh crap - she's up!"
loserwant2b

Re: Getting lots of pop ups

Postby RedRox » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:43 pm

I suspect you have some kind of adware or spyware program that got installed along the way. I'd run a good virus checker and download a free version of a program like ad-aware and run that as well. It's not related to this site per se as I know I am not getting this and it is likely others are not either. It's not part of the forum's advertising process in other words, so it must be coming from an external source although it might be triggered by being on this forum. Call my cynical but if you followed any of the links in the "lucyloo" photo expose in the Before and After photos area that were for acai berry supplements, you might have picked it up from there.
Dude: 5' 11" - 54: Started 04/01/04
Ramblin' along in P3 since June '05...

Eat real food. Not too much. Mostly plants. -- Michael Pollan
RedRox

Postby ladybugnessa » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:22 pm

and THAT is why I don't allow spammers on my board at all. they pretend to be nice and post their stuff with their links and infect you....

I agree spybot and adaware are your friends. also I use a popup blocker on my browser (mozilla firefox)
ladybugnessa

Postby RedRox » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:34 pm

Well the links being posted in that thread weren't from spammers really. Lucy had her before and after pictures stolen off this site and were being used in web ads for a scam with acai berry pills for weight loss. (along with "endorsements" from rachel ray and oprah) The links being posted were to help Lucy and others "see" Lucy's pics being used inappropriately. The intent was good and non-malicious. I am just not sure the actual websites that we went to had the same positive motives! I run both Ad-Aware and the full MacAfee security suite from Comcast in the background so I'm assuming one or both of those were doing their job if that was indeed even the situation that caused it at all.

RedRox

Postby loserwant2b » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:20 am

Thanks for the suggestions but I already have a virus program that runs constantly and I have my pop-up blocker ON!!! I'll have to check into Ad-ware I guess. You say its free online?
The reason I assumed it was here is because this is the only site it happens on??
I'll see what I can find
I want to be the kind of woman who - when my feet hit the floor each morning - the devils says, "Oh crap - she's up!"
loserwant2b

Postby RedRox » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:38 pm

try this link for the download: http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

you can always uninstall it if it doesn't work or it works and you just don't want it running on your pc.

RedRox

Return to Technical Issues and Board Improvement