Diet Alternative- Proactol Plus (Ads) | Home :: South Beach Diet | Food List | Recipes | Related Books and Grocery Shopping (Amazon)

Christin's Journey to the Beach

Introduce yourself and goals, keep it updated regularly.

Moderators: KristyW, Magna, Kimboroni

Christin's Journey to the Beach

Postby ladybugmom » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:35 pm

Five years ago I was an active, healthy person with an average weight of 135lbs. At 5'5" it had me right in the middle of my healthy weight. It wasn't my perfect weight, but it was a good one. After having been married and divorced with a wonderful little girl, I was coasting along until I met some one. In December of 2005 I married the love of my life, and luckily for me he took the "in sickness and in health" part of our vows seriously. I fell deathly ill just one month after we married. After two months of being doubled over in pain, I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease, and my weight had ballooned up to 155lbs.
While trying to figure out how to deal with a gluten free lifestyle, we found ourselves pregnant. After a brutal pregnancy with literally every month, from week two to delivery, being on severe restrictions and bed rest, we have another little girl who rivals her older sister in sheer mischief. I assumed like in my first pregnancy, my weight would return to my pre pregnancy weight shortly after giving birth--wrong! I stayed at 175-180 lbs.
Since Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease in which the body cannot handle gluten, found in wheat, rye, and barley, and attacks itself. Causing you to not absorb the necessary from your food. According to my doctor, it can due one of two things. Either your body goes nuts and you drop down to 100 lbs and you fight to get up to a healthy weight or your body goes a different kind of nuts and you go into starvation mode and pack on a lot of weight with it taking 3-5 years for the metabolism to repair. After 4 years gluten free, my weight has finally fluctuated, indicating my metabolism is functioning again and I can finally find me again under all of the flubber!!
I am starting my new, slightly modified-to stay gluten free- SB lifestyle with my hubby on Saturday. He is starting at 265 lbs and is hoping to reach around 200 lbs. I am so excited to have a real waistline again and wear shorts! I haven't worn shorts in years, it is too embarrassing. I have no gap in between my legs. I miss that gap! So I am setting a few short term goals for myself:

1) Remembering to take supplements- I have chronic anemia from the Celiac
2) Drink water- whether I think I am thirsty or not
3) To get on the rowing machine at least 4X's a week
and finally
4) Be able to comfortably wear a pair of shorts this summer

I cannot wait to get started. I ordered the book and several cook books that are due to be delivered in the next day or two, then off to the grocery store! :D
ladybugmom

Re: Christin's Journey to the Beach

Postby purenavygirl » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:47 pm

Hi Christin!

Welcome to the Beach! Although I don't know anyone with Celiac Disease, your story caught my eye.

I would love to keep in touch and see how this works for you. These forums are wonderful and full of love, support and encouragement.

Take care and I look forward to our journey!

Beth
purenavygirl

Postby ladybugmom » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:00 pm

Thanks for stopping by Beth. I need all of the support I can get!

I tend to be a little obsessive compulsive about starting a diet, mostly because if I don't follow my gluten free one, it will eventually kill me. So currently I am driving my DH crazy talking about what we need to pick up to start our SB WOE, how I want to finish our research on meal plans, and wanting to have at least a month of meals planned out and written down before I go grocery shopping this weekend. Did I mention that I get a little OC about changing my diet? :lol:

As is I need to stop by the store this morning. I try to do major shopping about once a month, and only pick up perishables, milk, eggs, etc through out the month. Imagine my surprise last night when I realized that we were out of veggies! :oops: Even though we will not begin phase one until Saturday, I try to plan meals with a good protein- usually baked, a small serving of rice, and lots of veggies. Even my girls love their vegetables and were missing them last night.

What I find interesting is that the SBD is considered to be a way of eating, a permanent lifestyle change. When I found out about my celiac, I was told that there is no cure or treatment, only a lifetime commitment to eating a gluten free diet to avoid the autoimmune response. As a read cookbooks and such I saw a quote that said that the diet was not a restriction, but a prescription for life. Being able to match up a phrase that helped me through the grieving process of this disease to the beach, I find that more inspirational than the before and after stories.

Well, time to get the monkeys out of bed and the day started.
ladybugmom

Postby purenavygirl » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:03 pm

Sounds like you have a correct mindset and, on top of it, you know you must do something for yourself in order to continue to be as healthy as possible.

Kudos to you!

As you've proved, SB is appealing in a number of ways to so many types of people. I do believe that's what is so great about it.

Like you, I am doing this mostly for medical issues. Mine have shown up in my family, as I have a family history of heart disease, at a young age. I was heading down a similiar path. So, that's why I'm here. Plus, a little weight loss goes a long way, too! :wink:

Hope your trip to the store went well. I'm gone for the week(end) and won't be back until Monday. Talk to you then.

Take care!
purenavygirl

Postby ladybugmom » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:01 pm

Well went to the store, stocked up on all of the SB friendly food. I went ahead and bought a food scale yesterday, splurged on the digital one, but it is nice to know that I will only be eating a portion. I was eating half again that much on the meat! :oops: DH is just shaking his head at me. He saw the measured individual servings of chicken breast and requested I give him about 3 per meal. I have a feeling this will be a difficult transition for him. I made the quick veg chili for dinner last night. Very good, DH didn't even miss the meat which is saying something for him. :wink: As I finished up dinner, I realized that I had only eaten SB friendly meals/snacks yesterday. So I think I will count today as day 2.

So today my menu is as follows:
B: Scrambled eggs w/peppers and onions, LF mozzarella cheese, tomato juice, tea
S: Almonds
L: Leftover chili with grilled chicken
S: TBD
D: Large salad with hard boiled egg and olive oil/vinegar dressing, maybe a little cheese

Now if I can only avoid the scale for a week or two. I have a very bad habit of weighing myself too often. I, of course, had to hop on this morning and see how it was going. I am down to 169.8! I know this is just water weight, but I usually can't lose the excess fluid. So this is me doing a happy dance, as I take the battery out of the scale for a little while! :lol:
ladybugmom

Postby ladybugmom » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:06 pm

Day three on P1 and terrible munchies! All I want to do is snack. The worst part is I don't think I am really that hungry, I was just in the habit of having a cup of hot cocoa in the afternoon. Oh well, I'll get over it. Having a nice cup of hot tea with a little splenda instead.

B: Mock french toast, tomato juice, tea
S: Almonds, string cheese
L: Salad with grilled chicken, avocado, diced egg, and 1tbs olive oil and vinegar dressing
S: Tomato juice, cup of tea
D: Steamed veggies-broccoli/cauliflower, grilled pork

Just became the new owner of a George Foreman grill, it has been very helpful. For my salad, I put my chicken in, and by the time I've finished mixing greens, and chopping my additions, the chicken is nicely cooked without having to keep an eye on it. Probably how I will cook my dinner tonight too. Now I just need to find the perfect breakfast to start DH out with tomorrow, it will be his day 1. He tends to get easily bored and truth be told, my eggs taste terrible! Maybe he will want to cook. Well, one more day on the beach is coming near to a close. Can't wait for the next.
ladybugmom

Postby ladybugmom » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:58 pm

Yesterday went well, DH really seems to enjoy the different food options. We spent a PJ day with the kids yesterday, board games and such. No computer allowed. Today's menu:
B: Mock French toast, tomato juice
S: edamame with tea
L: Chef's salad
S: Flax seed
D: Grilled chicken with steamed veggies

Haven't had any real cravings until today-munchies, but not a real craving. Today its chocolate, rich, dark chocolate. Of course I don't have any in the house, so I added a little bit of cocoa powder to my french toast. Not too bad, and now I am not feeling the need to run and buy chocolate. Well, time to finish up the household chores. I have just enough time, the girls are watching Snow White, after-wards, I think a game of hide and seek is in order.
ladybugmom

Postby ladybugmom » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:55 pm

Bad, bad, bad!! I made the flax muffins, I should have known better! Had a few too many and went over my nut allotment yesterday, and already today. Bad! At least I paired it with lots of veggies, sigh. And I made the mistake of looking at the scale. I am one pound up. I realize this WOE roots for the tortoise, which is the best and healthiest way, but I was really looking forward to losing all of the water weight. I feel a bit puffy, and it is not coming off. I will have to look everything over and make sure that I am not getting in too much sodium. And to top it off, even with the extra flax, I don't seem to be getting enough fiber in.

Oh, today I need to catch up on my exercise too. I had an accidental exposure to gluten over the weekend. Exposure causes fever, blackouts, dizziness, nausea, and lots of abdominal pain for me, and I frankly didn't feel like working through it. So today, I will row, do my core workout, and cycle for a while. DH and I treated ourselves to new bikes and and indoor bike trainer with our tax return. It is so nice to be able to take a bike ride while my youngest is napping.

Oh, well, enough whining. Just feeling out of sorts today. This kind of thing usually doesn't get to me like this. So happy thoughts, I went over on my nuts, but I need the extra fiber, and gluten contamination usually drives my weight up 5-10 lbs in fluid for several weeks. This time it only went up 1 lb and I am sure it will come off in the next few days. So on to what will be a good day! :wink:

B: Spinach pie with extra spinach, tea, flax muffins-4mini which equals 2 full size
S:--it is snack time now, but I am not hungry, probably just more water
S: Edamame, tea
D: Grilled pork with stir fried vegs
ladybugmom

Postby purenavygirl » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:49 pm

Hi Christin!

Sounds like for the most part, you're doing alright. I know what it's like to find something you can "bake" and go over board on. Some days, that willpower just doesn't kick in when you need it! :roll:

About the fiber. Can you have beans? Try getting in a serving (1/2 C) or two of beans each day if you can.

The FF refried bean bombs (1/2 C FF refried beans, 1-2 T LF Cheese, Taco Sauce) are a really good snack and help a lot with low fiber issues. Also, you can add beans as a topping to your salads. Some of the bean cake desserts are a good way to help get some beans in as well.

Also, if you're having "potty issues", make sure you get plenty of water and a little exercise. These will go a long way!

With that, I better roll. Have a great Monday!

B
purenavygirl

Postby ladybugmom » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:07 pm

Beth--Thanks for stopping by, and the food suggestion. I will have to stock up and try out some recipes. The support is really appreciated. It keeps my accountable and is a nice pick me up. :D

Yay! My weight went back down that pound! And I measured around my middle, I have lost almost an inch around my natural waist!

Today is shaping up to be a pretty awesome day. Our truck has been in the shop since October. That means hubby has had my car all winter, and I have walked every where, or when it was too cold to walk with children, called around and begged for a ride. But, the shop just received the last of the parts needed to rebuild the engine and we should have it back around the 9th of April! It has been a very long winter without transportation seeing as we have had the 4th snowiest season on record this year. :lol: The girls and I would look out at the foot plus of snow, negative wind chill factor, and settle for a game of hide and seek or a puzzle. My DH had quite a few can you pick up such and such on your way home calls.

Also, we purchased a house that was built in the 1860's a while back. We have to finish the demolition-plaster and lathe- I will put in the last three windows, and hubby will finish the new drywall installation. We are looking at being able to tape, plaster, sand, and be ready to paint all of the bedrooms by May. We thought it would take longer, but several people that work with DH found what we are trying to do and volunteered to take a weekend here in a couple of weeks, after we finish the demo and windows, and help to put up all of the ceilings, and as many walls as they can all get done over the course of two days! :D I cannot describe how grateful I am for their kindness and generosity. It has been slow going for us on that front. Due to a massive shoulder injury, I cannot lift a piece of dry wall over my head more than a couple times before it gives out on me. So DH has done most all of the dry-walling himself on his days off. It's funny. I can install windows, siding, guttering, flooring, do the sanding, refinishing, painting, trim work. What I struggle with is the demo, drywall, taping, plastering, and boarding up old windows that we do not care to keep. Reverse that and you have DH strengths and weaknesses. Talk about a match made in Heaven! :lol:

I did not quite stick to my food plan yesterday. Regular dinner wasn't appealing, tried out the Belgium waffles-fantastic. I didn't even have a topping for it and it did not matter. Finished it up with a glass of tomato juice which still finished out my veggies okay. Exercise yesterday, did everything but the bike ride. The stock seat that came with it is down right painful. I need to find one that is more narrow, it is a Schwinn Link, so it came with a wide cruising style saddle. I find that I miss the mountain bike style saddle. Oh well, maybe next paycheck :roll:

B: Scrambled eggs with peppers, FF ham, little bit of cheese, tea
S: Edamame
S: Flax seed muffin
D: Maybe the grilled pork and stir vegs will sound good tonight :roll:

'Til tomorrow!
ladybugmom

Postby ladybugmom » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:10 pm

It has been a busy week! I had an appointment out of town-waited an hour and was rescheduled :roll: , pulled quite a few things out of storage and started unpacking them-made a disaster of the house by doing so. Then my kid's play date which was planned for the park, we had to change up and it was at my house! I got up yesterday morning and it looked like the house had imploded, no floors in sight. I finished mopping the last room and finished making cookies just in time to walk to the school and pick up my oldest and her friends.

Had a little trouble sticking to the diet this past week. When I went out of town and waited for so long, I had brought a snack, but should have been home by lunch-didn't happen that way. Stopped by Wal-Mart and picked up a cobb salad and left off the dressing. By the office receptionist felt really bad that they had made an error and that they weren't prepared, so she gave us a $10 gift card to DQ. I wasn't going to turn that down! :twisted: I tried to behave my self at dinner, but dinner went terribly wrong. I tried out a new recipe with eggplant-forgot to saute it first- not edible. By then it was 8:00, nothing was thawed, and everybody needed something, so I served up cereal instead. At least it was with FF milk!

Yesterday I made a baked farmer's omelet at about 11:00, I was a little woozy. Realized I was trying to get the house ready and while I had taken care of my girls in between unpacking boxes and cleaning, I had forgot to eat or drink anything myself. :oops: So I had brunch. Forgot to take my iron with my meal, not a good thing if you are anemic. I made 4 ingredient peanut butter cookies for the play date. Only had one-yay me! Was so busy hosting a play date, finding toys, ect, that I also forgot to put in a reasonable snack, the cookie counts right? Had a plain grilled pork loin chop with a large salad for dinner. Missed out on about a cup and a half of veggies yesterday, and missed my calories by quite a bit. Counted them up, only took in about 800 calories. I don't really like counting calories, but it isn't healthy to miss them by that many.

But hey, weighed my self this morning, haven't since Tuesday, I am down to 167!!! I have lost 7 lbs so far. Today is day 11 of P1. I will be good and try not to forget to eat today. That has always been a problem for me. I may only eat once or twice a day, brunch and dinner. I will try to behave myself today and actually eat!

B: Baked farmer's omelet
S: TBD--haven't wanted this one lately
L: Salad
D: Lentils Marrakesh with chicken and a side salad (this is a Moroccan dish similar to a stew)
ladybugmom

Postby ladybugmom » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:53 pm

Down to 165.6!!!! That's almost 8 and a half pounds!! Today I am going to pull out the bike, then sweep and mop all of the house. Added to that, I need to get all of our new flooring upstairs. It is a beautiful 3/4" bamboo, in a lightly toasted stain, can't wait to start installing it! But each case weighs about 60-65 lbs and there are 37 cases to carry up. Figured if I try to do any upper body before hauling all of that, I won't make it very far! May need to just start on the flooring and see how my legs feel after 37 trips up the steps and 37 down. My ceilings are very high, 13' down stairs and 11' upstairs, so my stair case is a little longer than the average house's. But hey, I will definitely get my exercise in today :twisted: !

B: Mock waffle, coffee
L: Salad
D: Something with pork since we had chicken yesterday.

I find that we really can't afford the fish, or steaks, so I make chicken, pork, and eggs. Picked up some canned tuna, just haven't been in the mood for it. Fish and I don't get along very well unless some one else fixes it. No matter what I do it is watery, mushy, and has a very fishy taste. I can also do that to pretty much any fish, salmon, cod, catfish, tilapia, and maui maui. It's a skill :lol:
ladybugmom

Postby purenavygirl » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:44 pm

ladybugmom wrote:Down to 165.6!!!! That's almost 8 and a half pounds!!

Way to go! *big thumbs up*
purenavygirl

Postby ladybugmom » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:25 pm

Today is day 1 of phase 2. I am avoiding the scale right now, but I measured, I have lost about 6 total inches in 2 weeks. My waist has gone from 31" to 29"!! I have lost 1" around my upper arms, 1" around my thighs, and the rest around my hips :D

Today I should be adding fruit in, but I need to wait until payday for that. So I will have some oatmeal for breakfast. Having eggs for breakfast has been interesting, since my eggs can literally bounce across the floor if they fall off the plate :roll: , but I think I will somehow survive having oatmeal or a fruit salad.

I haven't figured out any food for today except breakfast. I am heading to my Grandma's today to clear brush, weed out her beds, haul fallen branches, etc. Her house sits on the last 10 acres of the family farm, the city just keeps moving closer, and even though she is in her 80's, this is the first year that she hasn't felt comfortable doing the work herself. She is a remarkable women and we can all only hope to be as independent and as active as she is at that point in our lives.

B: Oatmeal
L: Bringing salad with me to go with the baked chicken green beans, and mashed potatoes my Grandma is fixing- I will try to resist the taters!
D: We pulled chicken out to toss in the crock-pot, I doubt I will feel like cooking this evening.
ladybugmom

Postby ladybugmom » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:36 pm

Are we having fun yet?? Have not had a beachy week since I last updated. I had just transitioned to P2 when I caught a stomach bug. Needless to say, I did not get in my veg, or much of anything else. Once my stomach sorta settled I stuck to bread, brown rice, tea, and sugar free jello. I finally feel pretty much human today. Just tons of fluid. Right as I got sick I checked my weight, I was down to 164. Today I have no eyes and my wedding rings, which are typically really loose, I can't get them off. Checked on my weight this morning, I am up to 171 and all I want is sugar. I think I will do a week or two of P1 again, until all of the cravings are gone again. Hopefully I can get all of the fluid off in the next couple of days. Plus, we picked up a strawberry plant, and several veg plants to put in our garden, I just haven't been up to actually planting them. i will try to put them in between today and tomorrow. I love have fresh picked goodies over the spring and summer. I don't think I will post a menu today. I plan on taking it slow and only eating what sounds edible at the time. I will post it the next day for accountability and get back into posting my plan for the day in the morning as my tummy decides it actually wants food.
ladybugmom

Next

Return to Your Diet Journal