Diet Alternative- Proactol Plus (Ads) | Home :: South Beach Diet | Food List | Recipes | Related Books and Grocery Shopping (Amazon)

Professor Smurlene's PCOS and Fertility Journal

Introduce yourself and goals, keep it updated regularly.

Moderators: KristyW, Magna, Kimboroni

Postby valkm » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:51 pm

Hi Smurlene!

You are doing some great cooking. The bean brownies -
mmmm. Bean brownies are surprisingly good.

Good going on the back to back video workout. Is that
Leslie Sansone's walking tape? Walk workout tapes are
really a good workout.
Highest Weight: 163
Beginning Weight SB: 155
Weight when stopped last fall: 151

Current Weight: 155

My Journal
valkm

Postby packerprincess » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:17 am

smurl

Hi, read the first page of your journal and all I can say is WOW! I know you're dating again, so I'm guessing your second marriage ended also. I hope things are still going well with your new fellow!

You have really done well with everything you have had to deal with. You are a very strong woman and certainly will succeed with your weight loss goals.

It was wonderful having you as a team mate in August and I'm glad we kept our TLC group going! We'll all reach our goals with the support of each other.

Do you think OGB will let you count sex as a cardio workout? :wink:
HW - 194 LW - 153 SB since Jan 2006
Current Weight 185
Back on site April 2011
My Journal
packerprincess

Postby Smurlene » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:49 am

Dee--Thanks for your words of encouragement!! At times I do feel like I have been beaten a little too often by this world, but you know, I might have some bruises, but I keep getting back up again. Can't do anything but that. I never thought I would recover after the house fire, but look at me now, going through a divorce (more than 10 1/2 year marriage) and still working on keeping me healthy. Things I have learned through it all: wisdom is not something you ever achieve but continuously reach for, nothng is guaranteed, love yourself as you would your fellow human beings, and keep on hoping because all there really is in life is hope. Sorry if I sound sappy. Been reading alot of philosophical-type books lately in preparation for a class I am teaching next term.

val--I gotta tell you, those brownies are soooo good! At least you have tried them and don't think that I am crazy. I have been eating them everyday. What a great midday snack. And the black bean salad...I added green chile peppers. So good! I need to lay off the beans, though. I don't want to gain.

And, yes, I have been doing the Leslie Sansone workout tapes. I did the one mile the other day and followed it with 1/2 hour of yoga. I figured it was better than nothing, and I felt so unbeliebably relaxed afterwards. Tonight, I bought a tennis racket and some balls. Gotta mix it up!

pp--I nearly fell of my chair laughing about your last comment. I have got to pm OGB and ask him what he thinks. Hysterical!! And yes, my marriage is nearly dissolved. My husband of nearly 10 1/2 years just checked out of our marriage and life. I am a goal-oriented person who is also a dreamer. He was a dreamer without goals. I took it as long as I could stand it.

I am so excited about the tennis thing. I am terrible at it, but first thing tomorrow morning, I am going to go hit some balls. There is a wall on the courts near my house, so off I go. I figured that I might meet some folks who might let me play with them, though if they actually watch me in action they might run for fear of being hit. :D I spotted an elliptical that I have to have today. Already keeping my eyes on the prize. I just need to hit that 250 mark and that baby is mine.

Thank you all for your support. I am totally feelin' the love!!
PCOS/GERD/Anxiety /Costochondritis
Goals: better health and longevity
started SB: 1/06/06
re-started SB: 1/02/13
hw: 343
285 / 280 / 180
Goal #1: 275 by 1/28/13

My PCOS and Fertility Journal
Smurlene

Postby Smurlene » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:06 pm

Yesterday was just great! I walked to the bus stop, then worked five hours, then came home, got off the bus three stops early and bought my tennis rackets, then came home, made dinner, and went for a long walk (30 min up and back...two workouts for the price of one!), and then did a little work before bed. Just a year ago, I would not have even considered doing anything more than collapsing or sitting at my desk and working after working all day, now I have a spring in my step and I hate the thought of staying home.

I am trying to figure out what to do with my evening. I have work to do...Lots of it, but I gotta do some exercise. I will probably walk up to the Starbucks at the top of the hill (30 min), read for an hour or so at the park nearby (reading The Memory Keepers Daughter...soooo good), and then walk back.

I don't know what I am going to do Sat and Sun. Work for sure, but after that....maybe more walking.

I am deciding on Monday whether I should stay a member of Curves or not. Right now, I am leaning towards dropping out. There is little for me there.
285 / 280 / 180

Smurlene

Postby Smurlene » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:23 am

So, I went to look at the sports center near my house. It has everything that I am looking for: indoor and outdoor pools, a track, several types of resistance training possibilities, a cardio room, circuit training, a full-serve salon, etc. It nearly made me cry when I left, seeing all those people coming out all sweaty from working out because I cannot join that gym. It is too far away to walk and is in an unsafe neighborhood. Sigh.....

I have two more possibilities to peruse before making my decision on Monday to drop out of Curves: the school gym and the new Gold's gym. I can take the bus to the Gold's. In fact, there is a smalllll possibility that I might be able to walk there, but not on a cold, icy day. But I am going to learn into it the first thing in the morning.
285 / 280 / 180

Smurlene

Postby meemoo » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:04 pm

Smurlene wrote: read for an hour or so at the park nearby (reading The Memory Keepers Daughter...soooo good)

I've been wanting to read this, and haven't gotten around to it yet. I just started Life of Pi and so far enjoying it.

I don't blame you for wanting to quit Curves. I took a circuit weight training class my first year of college (granted that was a long time ago), but I found it so boring. And always doing the same thing was part of the boredom. That and the music. I have to do my own thing or have my ipod on me. Good luck with what you decide. I have wanted to use the college gym here where my dh is a student (because the price is right), but then I don't have anyone to watch my kids. So oh well. I'll continue to enjoy my setup here at home. It works great except when I'm doing yoga and my kids think I make a great tunnel. I guess I do it for the flexibility and not the relaxation, right?
My Journal Here
My Journal at TOB
[url=http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66852&postdays=0&
meemoo

Postby Smurlene » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:13 pm

meemoo-I have wanted to read the Life of Pi! We should swap books when we are done. :D

I used to have that problem with yoga with my cats. They would climb under me while I was doing cat-dog or downward facing dog. It was cute at first and then it got old. So, now I give them treats before I do it, so they will leave me have my quiet time.

I am on the fence about joing the university's gym. It is cheap--$100 a year!--but then I have to workout with my students and at my workplace. Not too tempting!
285 / 280 / 180

Smurlene

Postby meemoo » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:26 pm

I guess it would be different being a professor and all. What do you teach? My hubby is doing his master's right now in English Literature and Theory and had the intention of getting his PhD and teaching college. But we have decided that we want to stay where we are at, for a while at least, and the university here doesn't offer a traditional PhD program in his field and doesn't usually hire you unless you have one. So go figure.
My Journal Here
My Journal at TOB
[url=http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66852&postdays=0&
meemoo

Postby Smurlene » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:48 pm

I teach English! My Master's is in American lit and theory. My Ph.D. is in composition and rhetoric. Should he decide to go for that Ph.D., I strongly recommend comp/rhet as an area of focus. There are very, very few jobs in lit of any kind.
285 / 280 / 180

Smurlene

Postby meemoo » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:11 pm

His teaching a Freshman Comp course right now as part of his Assistantship, and is having a great time with it. I think one student last week commented to him that he didn't know English could be fun. How great is that?
My Journal Here
My Journal at TOB
meemoo

Postby Smurlene » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:25 pm

That is very cool! I remember my first few years of teaching comp. So much fun! Being a TA was terrific, too, though hard work. It only gets harder after the MA, but certainly more fulfilling. I miss those years. I come up for tenure in a year and a half. Time flies when you are (not) having fun!
285 / 280 / 180

Smurlene

Postby mauijoy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:28 am

Hi Smurlene,
Good luck with the gym selection.
My DH and I recently took tennis classes at our local community center. We loved it. Unfortunately, the class was full this go around. Hitting the ball against the back board is an excellant way to learn - I wish the courts next to our house had one. We are going to sign up for the next classes in the winter. Apparently, they have a giant dome they put over the outside courts so you can play all through the winter. (Life is so decandent these days). I too really enjoy variety on the exercise front. My motto is Something is better than nothing. When I tell myself that it gets me out of my perfection mode and at least gets me started. In fact, having just reminded myself of that I am going to go and lift a few weights - even if I don't get the full 30 min. in for the challenge. I sure hope I have a lose tomorow on the scale. I definately feel better these last few days but I want the numbers :) :) As you know if you keep up the exercise you WILL meet your goals. Good job and keep on keeping on.
mauijoy

Postby Smurlene » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:51 am

maui--Thanks for the pep talk. I really need that sometimes. I have been bloated for three days and feel PMS ramping up, so this is my vulnerable exercise time. You know, I feel just like you do about exercise. I tell myself: just walk to the top of the hill or just go and do one circuit or just walk to the gym, you don't have to go in. Usually, that is enough to get me going. Most of the time, I will do much more than I promised myself, which is good. But I also sometimes do just what I said, which makes me feel good anyway.

I am going to bounce some balls off the backboard tomorrow. I am not good at tennis, but I do like it. It sounds like those tennis classes have been a lot of fun! They don't offer those at my rec center, so I joined a book club there instead. :shock:
285 / 280 / 180

Smurlene

Postby Rosetrail » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:23 pm

Hi, Smurl. Thanks for dropping by my journal last week. I've just been reading in your journal about your tennis exploits - very fun! It has been so long since I've hit around a tennis ball, but I know it's great exercise.

As to your question in my journal, I plan to keep bike commuting as long as I can stand it. It may give me an excuse to invest in some nice cold weather gear. But, I am from south Texas, so my tolerance for cold is quite low. I imagine I will spend several months doing all my commuting by subway. But, I think I will try a spinning class a couple of times a week, so that I don't lose my bike fitness. Plus, I find that when I'm riding more I develop more of a "seat," as in I can go longer without having the butt soreness from the bikeseat. I want to keep that "seat" in shape, so I'm not sore when spring comes around and I start bike commuting again!
30 by 30! I am working on a 30 pound weightloss in time for my 30th birthday.

30 by 30 Journal
Rosetrail

Postby Smurlene » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:25 pm

Rose--Oh, the tennis has been fun, but after only 10 or so days, I have mild tennis elbow!! It hurts. I ice my elbow now. I think I just need to toughen up.

That is great that you plan to keep riding in some form or another through winter. I know exactly what you mean about your butt getting sore from riding too long. I even got a very, very expensive gel seat, hoping that would help, but it only took the sharp pain away, my butt still ached from eventual numbness afterwards.

I am so behind on journaling.
285 / 280 / 180

Smurlene

PreviousNext

Return to Your Diet Journal