Diet Alternative- Proactol Plus (Ads) | Home :: South Beach Diet | Food List | Recipes | Related Books and Grocery Shopping (Amazon)

Newbie - over 50, 50 to loose

Weight loss and other issues that don't quite fit in anywhere else. Off-topic welcome - just keep it nice!

Moderators: KristyW, Magna, Kimboroni

Newbie - over 50, 50 to loose

Postby 50/50 girl » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:08 pm

Ok .... looking for some support. Honestly. I lost 15lbs on SB 15 years ago - but I was 38 back then - and seriously - the weight just came off so quickly. It was FABULOUS!!! Fast forward 15 years - 50 lbs later ... over 200 lbs (gasp) ... and feeling SUPER unattractive. I began SB again on April 12, 2017. I'm doing REALLY WELL with staying on track. Eatting what and when I should. And taking a photo of everything I put in my mouth (to keep me accountable). Looking back on the photos I'm very proud of myself. So on that front "yay me"!!! But in a week I've ONLY lost 3.8lbs. And my weight has stalled for the last 3 days! I CANT HIT A PLATEAU 1 WEEK IN WITH 45 LBS TO GO!!!! I find myself feeling discouraged. But I don't want to turn back. I want my waistline to return!!!! It's just this big round thing. I would love to find some support hear in the forum. I read posts everyday ... but they are so many years old ... I feel those people are gone. Anyone out there ???? 50+ with 50 to lose (50/50 girl). Could really use some encouragement.

SW 209
CW 205.2
GW 155
50/50 girl

Re: Newbie - over 50, 50 to loose

Postby Geo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:40 pm

Hi 50/50 girl

Great to see you on the forum. I've only been eating according to the SBD for about 6-weeks, so I'm no expert. But let me suggest that you only weigh yourself once per week. Weigh yourself when you first get up in the morning with the same clothes on every time. Waiting a week between weigh-ins will let you see a real difference, as opposed to some small differences that take place each day. That has worked for me.

Also... You commented on my journal that you hated to list all your food. I don't record what I eat either. As I understand Phase 1, there aren't strict limits on serving size, so I don't worry about it. You could, of course, eat too much of anything, and actually gain weight. I try to eat until just before I am full. Just a few minutes later, I always feel comfortably full.

Here's a typical day for me when I was on P1:
Breakfast (My favorite meal):
2-egg (Whole eggs) omelette with maybe an extra 1/2 egg of Egg Beaters to make the texture more like I like it
Sauteed onion
Sweet Baby Peppers
Low Fat Mozzarella cheese.
1 1/2 strips of turkey bacon
V-8 juice (I drink it from a juice glass to avoid drinking too much)
Unsweetened Almond milk. (Doesn't taste good, but its good for me)

Mid-Morning snack
LF cheese stick
6~8 Almonds if I feel at all hungry (I eat 'em one at a time, and slowly to avoid eating too many)

Lunch:
Romain
2 slices of Sun Dried Tomato Turkey Breast cut up in salad
LF Cottage cheese (When I put CC on a salad, I don't need dressing)
1/2 Avocado

Afternoon snack
I usually skip it, but if hungry, I'd have more LF cheese stick and/or almonds

Evening meal: (I go light on my evening meal because I've found that I sleep better when I'm not too full, and I want to have a dessert)
1 1/2 slices of Sun Dried Tomato Turkey Breast
LF Mozzarella melted on top
LF Cottage cheese

Dessert:
SF Chocolate Pudding/Chocolate Peanut Butter & Whipped Topping/Lemon Pie (Haven't decided my favorite, so I choose one)

I ate this way to keep it really simple and quick to make meals. When I began P2, I added some grapes one day, and 1/2 banana the next day.

About 10-days ago, my wife started the SBD, so I suspect that soon we will try some of the many recipes on the Forum. It appears that we will never get bored with all the choices that P2 gives us.

Hope this helps.

Geo
SD: 3/13/17
Triglycerides: 541
Cholesterol: 305

Progress:
3/13/17 SW 200
3/20/17 ...... 195
3/27/17 ...... 191
4/3/17 ....... 188
4/10/17 ...... 187
4/17/17 ...... 185
4/25/17 ...... 183
Geo

Postby Magna » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:06 pm

Geo wrote: But let me suggest that you only weigh yourself once per week. Weigh yourself when you first get up in the morning with the same clothes on every time. Waiting a week between weigh-ins will let you see a real difference, as opposed to some small differences that take place each day. That has worked for me.

This is a great suggestion. The scale weighs everything - water, muscle, clothes, food in your stomach, etc. And the number on the scale fluctuates for all kinds of reasons that aren't related to fat loss. So it could be misleading or frustrating to watch the number bounce around all the time. Weighing yourself less often helps give a truer picture. Also, pay attention to non-scale changes, like how your clothes are fitting and how you are feeling. You can do this! :)
Male
Magna

Postby 50/50 girl » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:16 pm

Thanks you guys!!! So glad to know someone is out there. I KNOW I'm not suppose to weigh myself everyday ... so I try to not eat it get me down ... but when I do the weekly thing I seem to find it more discouraging. My mind thinks I've lost more than the scale says and I throw up my arms and say to heck with this. (In the past). But - I will try and not put too much faith in what it says. I DID drop a whole lb today ... so feeling better!!! Yay!!! I'm thinking ... that because I have so much to loose ... I might stay on phase 1 for an extra week. Or at least introduce fruit VERY slowly. So afraid it will make me gain back the sad little 4.8 lbs I've lost. It really helps hearing the success stories and how well people can stay on the plan. How was it for you guys moving to phase 2. I'm hoping to bring wine back into my life - but only 2 times a week. What is "sun dried tomorrow turkey"??? Sounds yummy!!!
50/50 girl

Postby Geo » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:52 am

50/50 girl wrote:What is "sun dried tomorrow turkey"??? Sounds yummy!!!

Oops... My Bad! I meant to say "Sun Dried Tomato Turkey Breast". I get it at WalMart. We have it sliced on #2 setting which gives us a nice thick slice that's perfect for chopping up in omelettes, Putting in a salad, or having as an evening meal. We love it!

One other thing, if I may... I see the SBD as a life-long change in my eating habits. It isn't something that I want to use to lose weight and look good. So for me, there's no rush to get down to any certain goal weight. I want to be healthy, and especially to have good blood chemistry. This is a marathon, not a sprint! It doesn't matter how long it takes to get down to a certain weight.

Hang in there. You'll see results soon enough.
SD: 3/13/17
Triglycerides: 541
Cholesterol: 305

Progress:
3/13/17 SW 200
3/20/17 ...... 195
3/27/17 ...... 191
4/3/17 ....... 188
4/10/17 ...... 187
4/17/17 ...... 185
4/25/17 ...... 183
Geo

Postby Magna » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:21 am

Geo transitioned to phase 2 most recently, so he can probably give you some first-hand insight. :) I can say it's best to do it gradually, and to introduce one food at a time until you know how it will affect you. For example, you might try a serving of berries for a few days just to make sure they're not going to cause you problems. Then try something else, like a whole grain or a starchy vegetable. A number of people have had so-so results with whole-grain breads, cereals, and flours, so it might be better to wait on those until later in phase 2. It might be better to introduce fruits, cooked whole grains (like old-fashioned oats or brown rice), or starchy vegetables (like sweet potato) first, before trying whole-grain breads or cereals.

By the way, there is a whole discussion about people's experiences transitioning to phase 2, here:
http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=25541
Male
Magna

Postby 50/50 girl » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:15 pm

Thanks you guys!!!! I really appreciate the feedback. And I totally agree - marathon not sprint! It helps to be reminded of that though. Thank you!!! :). I'll go to Walmart and look for the turkey breast! That sounds fun. And thanks for the link for phase 2. I plan on doing it very slowly. I've read several people have problems with bread. So I agree - I should hold off for a bit. Several people talk about phase 1.5 .... assuming that's the transition and it's best to wirk into phase 2 very gradually. So happy to see people on the forum. So nice to know I'm not alone!!! Thanks for the feedback everyone!!! :D
50/50 girl

Postby 50/50 girl » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:44 pm

I'm back ... just to update ... for those who are lurking and looking for motivation. I finished Phase 1 with a total weight loss of 6lbs. I transitioned to Phase 3 yesterday - but I am taking baby steps. A handful of blueberries yesterday with almonds for a 3:00 snack and today I'm planning my apple with almond butter :). I'm not sure why ... but I was down a whole lb today ... yay!!! I know from experience that a large jump like that on one day usually means a stall or so for about 4 days. But I'm ok with that. I know ... I'm a "daily weigher" and that is frowned upon. But at this point it's helping me keep my head in the right place. Anyway ... I'm proud of myself and I'm sticking with it!!!! Yay me!!! :)
4/12/17 ...SW.. 209.0
4/19/17 ........ 205.2
4/26/17 ........ 203.0
GW 155
50/50 girl

Postby Magna » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:07 pm

Great news! Thanks for passing along the motivation! :)
Male
Magna

Return to General Chat