Diet Alternative- Proactol Plus (Ads) | Home :: South Beach Diet | Food List | Recipes | Related Books and Grocery Shopping (Amazon)

Almond 'Milk' and Coconut Water

Share your favourite recipes here.

Moderators: KristyW, Magna, Kimboroni

Almond 'Milk' and Coconut Water

Postby Libby2 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:55 pm

I'm curious how people are counting Almond Milk in their diet? Also how do you use it?
Looking for recipes and ideas.

The one I use is Blue Diamond UN-Sweetened Almond Breeze (Vanilla flavored non-dairy almond milk), because it's
the one my local grocer carries. I usually use it in smoothies. Any other brand I should know about?

Blue Diamond - http://www.bluediamond.com/shop/natural ... eeze32.cfm

And I discovered another healthy and very refreshing drink to have by itself or to add to other drinks and meals as well.
It's 100% Coconut water (not cream/milk). It's great by itself (chilled), or with a squeeze of lime, and is another one of those drinks I enjoy after excercise or working outside. A couple of brands I know of are Amy & Brian All Natural Coconut Juice, and Zico Pure Premium Coconut Water.

I found an article that lists all its health benefits

Coconut Water: A New Health Drink

Dr. Bruce Fife November 11, 2008What is the healthiest beverage you can drink? Fruit juice? Milk? Sports drinks? Herbal tea? It may come as a surprise to you, but one of the healthiest beverages is coconut water. Most people respond to this statement with, "what the heck is coconut water?"

You´ve been to the grocery store, picked up a coconut, and shaken it, right? The sloshing sound you hear inside is coconut water. Contrary to popular belief, this liquid is not coconut milk. Coconut milk is made by crushing and squeezing the liquid from coconut meat. What you get is a thick, creamy, white fluid that looks much like dairy milk. Coconut water, on the other hand, looks pretty much like ordinary water, although it may be slightly cloudy due to the vitamin and mineral content. The two are completely different in taste, texture, nutrient content, and health benefits. Coconut water is sometimes referred to as coconut juice and is consumed just like any other fruit juice.

Coconut water has a slightly sweet, somewhat nutty taste. Surprisingly, it doesn´t taste like coconut. It has a flavor all its own. Coconut water has long been the most popular beverage consumed in the tropics where it is considered not only a refreshing drink but a health tonic.

Coconut water is a superfood filled with minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, amino acids, enzymes, and growth factors. It is low in fat and has only a fifth of the sugar found in most fresh fruit juices.

Its unique combination of nutrients gives it incredible health promoting properties. Coconut water has a normalizing effect and gives the body a boost of energy so that it can overcome a number of health related conditions. It is effective in relieving dehydration, fatigue, constipation and other digestive disturbances, kidney and bladder disorders, and vision problems such as glaucoma and cataract. It is reported to turn back time, so to speak, by reversing or slowing down the aging process. Coconut water also has an alkalizing effect on the body, helping to counteract or balance the effects of acidifying foods which are so common in our diets.

Research shows that coconut water can improve blood circulation, lower elevated blood pressure, and reduce risk of heart attacks and strokes. Studies have been so impressive that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) of the United States has approved coconut water to carry the claim that it "may reduce the risk of high blood pressure and stroke."

One of the most remarkable characteristics of coconut water is its chemical profile and mineral content. The primary minerals or electrolytes in coconut water are essentially the same as those found in human blood. For this reason, doctors have used it as an intravenous fluid for rehydration, pumping it directly into the patient´s bloodstream. Numerous studies dating back over 60 years document the successful use of intravenous coconut water in the treatment of malnutrition and dehydration.
** Continue At Link **

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/81020
Last edited by Libby2 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Libby2

Re: Almond 'Milk'

Postby recipelover » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:27 am

I haven't purchased any, but I am thinking about it now that I found the most used way of using it that had been posted in the past on this board:

In coffee
or
on cereal

I think you could use it anywehre that you would add some milk. I bet it would be good in sf puddings too.

I would think that it would count more toward your nut allowance for the day since it is made with almonds.
(*;*)
I love recipes so I put together the:
Recipe summary Sticky arranged by categories: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=97961
recipelover

Re: Almond 'Milk'

Postby Libby2 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:26 pm

Hi Recipelover,

I hadn't seen a post here on almond milk before. I'm glad people have been incorporating it into drinks, etc. It really is a terrific addition to smoothies. I don't eat dry cereal, but I'll bet it would be great with oatmeal! I was hoping some folks had used it in meal recipes that they could share. I may try it in a soup.
Libby2

Return to South Beach Diet Recipe and Food Area