Diet Alternative- Proactol Plus (Ads) | Home :: South Beach Diet | Food List | Recipes | Related Books and Grocery Shopping (Amazon)

Lamb recipes for lamb lovers out there

Share your favourite recipes here.

Moderators: KristyW, Magna, Kimboroni

Postby recipelover » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:30 pm

Just copying in a recipe that was posted. I used a conversion site and tried to convert the grams to ounces for many of us. I also converted the oven temp (thing in red). If I have any of them incorrect, please let me know.

Lamb and tomato bake with a cheese and yoghurt topping, P1 [posted by special hat]
http://www.waitrose.com/recipe/Lamb_And ... pping.aspx

It's delicious - just ensure you use very lean ground lamb (10% fat or less) and a reduced fat cheese as the topping. The topping is especially good. Obviously don't need these exact branded ingredients. Serves: 4

Ingredients

500g pack fresh ground lamb (about 1 lb.)
2 x 400g cans Waitrose Chopped Italian Tomatoes with Olive Oil and Garlic (about 2 14-oz. cans)
½ tsp Waitrose Cooks Ingredients A Good Pinch Of Wild Rosemary
25g pine nuts (about 1 oz.)
3 Jack Hawkins Slicing Tomatoes, thinly sliced
150g pot Total 0% Fat Greek Yoghurt (about 5 1/2 oz.)
1 egg, beaten
25g Parmigiano Reggiano, grated (close to 1 oz.)

Method
Fry the lamb in a large non-stick frying pan for 5-6 minutes, stirring regularly until lightly browned.
Stir in the canned tomatoes and rosemary, then allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes until the lamb is thoroughly cooked. Add the pine nuts.
Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6 (about 400 degrees F). In the base of a 23cm x 19cm x 4cm (about 9 x 7 1/2 x 1 inches) lasagne dish, place a layer of sliced tomato; then spoon over half the lamb mixture. Repeat with more tomato slices and the rest of the lamb then top with the remaining tomato.
Mix the yoghurt and egg together and spoon over the top. Sprinkle with the Parmigiano Reggiano and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the topping is starting to brown.
Serve with a fresh Greek-style salad of tomatoes, olives, cucumber and crumbled feta cheese, drizzled with lemon juice and olive oil.

Cook's tips

Make the lamb filling up to 24 hours ahead to allow the flavours to develop. Cover and leave to cool, then chill until ready to assemble and cook. Add an extra 10 minutes or so to the final cooking time.
(*;*)
I love recipes so I put together the:
Recipe summary Sticky arranged by categories: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=97961
recipelover

Postby Irish-gal » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:49 pm

thanks recipelover ,you are the best!!! :wink:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wi993V2/]
[/url]
Irish-gal

Postby ami » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:14 am

Just me bumpping just in case someone want to make some lamb for Easter Dinner!
Ami in OH
ami

Re: Lamb recipes for lamb lovers out there

Postby living_out_loud » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:50 am

Lamb meatballs in tomato/mint sauce with pinenut couscous P2

A Rachael Ray recipe(slightly modified)...I look forward to this meal all day when we'll have it for dinner

•1 pound lean ground lamb
•1/4 cup ww bread crumbs
•1 egg
•1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (a couple of handfuls)
•Salt and pepper
•2 pinches allspice
•2 teaspoons lemon zest
•4 cloves garlic, minced, divided
•1 small onion, peeled, divided
•3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
•1 can crushed Italian tomatoes (28 ounces)
•2 cups chicken stock, divided
•1/4 cup flat leaf parsley (a generous handful), finely chopped
•1/4 cup mint sprigs (a generous handful), finely chopped
•2 tablespoons butter
•1 1/2 cups ww couscous
•1/4 cup pine nuts or pignoli (a generous handful), toasted
PreparationPlace the lamb in a bowl. Add the bread crumbs to the lamb along with the egg, cheese, salt, pepper, allspice, lemon zest and a clove of minced garlic. Use a grater to grate about 2 tablespoons of the onion into the lamb. Combine the meatball mix and roll into balls the size of walnuts, about 20 balls.

Heat the EVOO, three turns of the pan, in a deep skillet over medium heat and add the remaining garlic and grate the remaining onion into the EVOO. Sauté the garlic and onion for a few minutes, then stir in the tomatoes and 1/2 cup of the chicken stock. When the sauce bubbles, add the meatballs and simmer for 7-8 minutes to cook through. Stir in parsley and mint and season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste.

While the meatballs cook, bring the remaining stock and the butter to a simmer, add the couscous and turn off the heat. Cover and let the couscous stand for 5 minutes. Add the pine nuts to the couscous and fluff with a fork.

Serve the meatballs and sauce on a bed of couscous with nuts.
~Michelle

SW 174
CW 140
GW 145
I am female and 5'5
living_out_loud

Postby uk.terri » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:54 am

I made the lamb meatballs last night and it was quite tasty! My only modifications were that I used porridge oats in place of the ww bread crumbs and added some veggies to the sauce (leeks, bell peppers and a carrot). Served to my DH and stepson with rice and I had it with quinoa. Used lamb stock cube instead of chicken.

Yummy! Will keep this in my file!

Thanks!
Cheers!
Terri

SW: 168.8 ~ 4Jan2013
CW: 162.2 ~ 24 Feb
GW: 135
HGT: 5'0"

Measurements: 15 Jan 2013
B: 38"
W: 41"
H: 46"
uk.terri

Postby living_out_loud » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:48 am

Glad you enjoyed the recipe Terri. Good idea to add extra veggies.
~Michelle

SW 174
CW 140
GW 145
I am female and 5'5
living_out_loud

How to Prepare Lamb/DD/23/11

Postby ami » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:50 am

How to Prepare Lamb

From lean loin lamb chops and loin roasts to leg of lamb, this meat is gaining popularity because it’s not only lean but extremely tasty. Once thought of as the traditional meat of Easter, lamb is now a nutritious choice for meals year-round. If you plan to serve lamb soon, try one of the following cooking methods:

Broiling and Grilling
These techniques can be used for both chops and butterflied leg of lamb, as well as kebabs made from the leg. To broil lamb chops (or kebabs), place the well-trimmed lamb on a broiler rack about 3 to 4 inches from the heat and cook for 3 minutes per side, turning once, for medium-rare. Or cook them on the grill over medium-high heat until done. To broil or grill a leg of lamb, have the butcher butterfly it for you and remove any visible fat. Grill or broil the lamb about 15 minutes per side, or until an instant-read thermometer registers 125ºF in the thickest part (the temperature will increase upon sitting). This will give you some lamb that is quite rare and also some that is nearly well done. Let the lamb rest for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.

Roasting
This technique uses dry heat and is good for a bone-in leg or a rack of lamb. Season the roast as desired and place fat side up in roasting pan. Place the lamb in the oven and roast for 30 minutes at 400ºF. Reduce the oven temperature to 350ºF and continue to cook for about an hour longer for medium-rare or until an instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the center of the roast registers 145ºF to 150ºF (be careful that the thermometer does not touch the bone). Take the lamb out of the pan and allow it to rest for 10 to 15 minutes before carving. Remove any fat before eating.
Ami in OH
ami

A Healthy Grilled Kebab/DD//8/10/11

Postby ami » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:40 am

A Healthy Grilled Kebab

This grilled kebab is perfect for any summer barbecue. The recipe features succulent lamb with a vibrant blend of spices, including cumin, cayenne, and black pepper, and a minty yogurt sauce. Serve the kebabs with grilled veggies on all Phases and, when on Phase 2, brown rice.

Spicy Lamb Kebabs With Cucumber-Mint Yogurt (Phase 1)

Description
Spice is nice, but sometimes you need a little cooldown. Mint and yogurt are the perfect pair for the job, and they’re a nice complement to the cumin-based marinade that bathes these cubes of lamb before they’re grilled. Use leg of lamb; it’s one of the leanest and tastiest cuts.

Makes 4 servings

Prep time: 20 minutes
Marinating time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes

Ingredients
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 1/2 pounds leg of lamb, cut into 24 (1 1/2") cubes
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup nonfat or low-fat Greek-style plain yogurt
1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 medium red onions, cut into 16 wedges

Special equipment
8 (12") skewers

Instructions
In a large bowl, combine cumin, coriander, 1/4 teaspoon of the black pepper, and cayenne. Add lamb and toss to coat. Add 3 tablespoons of the lemon juice and the oil; toss again. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and marinate lamb at room temperature for 20 minutes.

While lamb is marinating, in a medium bowl combine yogurt, cucumber, mint, garlic, salt, remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.

Lightly coat a grill or grill pan with cooking spray and heat to medium-high. Thread 3 lamb cubes and 2 onion wedges onto each skewer, alternating pieces. Grill kebabs, turning frequently, 5 to 7 minutes for medium-rare. Divide among 4 plates and serve warm with cucumber-mint yogurt.

Nutritional information
Per (2-skewer) servings:
301 calories
11 g fat (4 g sat)
10 g carbohydrate
40 g protein
1 g fiber
420 mg sodium
Ami in OH
ami

Previous

Return to South Beach Diet Recipe and Food Area