Diet Alternative- Proactol Plus (Ads) | Home :: South Beach Diet | Food List | Recipes | Related Books and Grocery Shopping (Amazon)

Burdle's 'you guys interested in bean recipes?' edited

Share your favourite recipes here.

Moderators: KristyW, Magna, Kimboroni

Postby Burdle » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:24 am

Hi, Reb. Good question. I use baby navy beans, they are my husband's favorite. Some dried Cannellini beans are processed with sugar and salt...I don't know why. I had bought a bag, and gave them to my mother, I didn't think to look at ingredients on a bag of dried beans! I have had Cannellini beans, and personally, I found them rather tasteless. The baby navy beans cook rather quickly, while Cannellini beans take much longer, and are much, much more expensive.
Burdle
Check out my bean thread, "Burdle's
'You guys interested in bean recipes?', edited" in the Recipe and Food section of this Forum.
Burdle

Postby Burdle » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:28 am

I just received this chili recipe today. Just take out the corn, and it is extremely SBD friendly. I like it because it calles for leftover turkey.
AICR's Weekly Health-e-Recipes e-mail from www.aicr.org
Tuesday, February 1, 2005, Issue No. 21

Chili Kickoff
The crowd will cheer when you serve this delicious chili at halftime. Using a variety of beans adds interesting texture and color, and so does the corn. This recipe contains about half the calories and fat of the average beef chili recipe. As with most chilies, this dish tastes better if made in advance. That way all the work and clean up can be done ahead of time, so you won’t miss any of the game (or the commercials).

Touchdown Chili
2 Tbsp. canola oil
2 cups chopped onion
2-4 garlic cloves, as desired, chopped fine
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and
chopped coarse
2 Tbsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper, or as desired
1 Tbsp. cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
3 cans (16 oz. each) of 3 different types of
beans (kidney, black, garbanzo, etc.)
rinsed and drained
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
1 cup frozen corn (or canned corn,
drained) (not SBD friendly)
1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes, with
juice (sugar free)
1 cup low-sodium “V-8” (or spiced)
tomato juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper,
if desired
3 cups diced cooked turkey*
Hot sauce, to taste
In a large, deep pot over medium-high heat, heat the oil until it is hot. Stir in the onions, garlic and bell peppers. Lightly sauté them until the onion is translucent, the garlic is golden and the bell pepper is softened. Stir in the chili powder, cayenne, cumin, oregano and cinnamon, and mix well. Stir in the beans, corn, tomatoes and juice.
Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer gently for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Stir in the turkey and simmer for an additional 15 minutes. Adjust seasonings, as desired, adding more salt, pepper and hot sauce, to taste. Store in the refrigerator till game time and reheat on the stovetop or in a slow cooker.
*In place of cooked turkey meat, turkey sausage or ground turkey that has been cooked and drained of fat can be used, as well as cooked, diced chicken or ground chicken. This recipe can also be frozen for later use.
Serve accompanied with reduced fat sour cream, chopped onions and/or cheese as toppings, if desired.
Makes 10 servings.
Per serving: 261 calories, 6 g. fat (1 g. saturated fat), 32 g. carbohydrate, 21 g. protein, 9 g. dietary fiber, 461 mg. sodium.
P1, 2 & 3
Burdle
'You guys interested in bean recipes?', edited" in the Recipe and Food section of this Forum.
Burdle

Postby Reb » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:27 am

Today I had a bunch of fresh ground turkey I needed to cook up and I found this recipe online.... at http://soup.allrecipes.com/az/WhiteChil ... Turkey.asp

I couldn't find cannellini beans so I substituted small white beans. I also reduced the liquid some... I kept it mild for my little kids and they *liked* it. The cinnamon gave it a unique flavor, but in a *good* way (not distinctly cinnamon).

BTW, I also posted this under the chili thread. If I'm only supposed to post this in one place, my apologies and feel free to delete (or as me to) if it's a problem!

White Chili with Ground Turkey
Submitted by: Donna Nugent

Make sure you spice this one to taste! Garnish with cheese, salsa, sour cream and cilantro leaves, and serve with rolled tortillas on the side.

Original recipe yield: 8 servings.

INGREDIENTS:
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
2 (4 ounce) cans canned green chile peppers, chopped
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
ground cayenne pepper to taste
ground white pepper to taste
3 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans
5 cups chicken broth
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large pot over medium heat, combine the onion, garlic and ground turkey and saute for 10 minutes, or until turkey is well browned. Add the chile peppers, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, cayenne pepper to taste and white pepper to taste and saute for 5 more minutes.
2. Add two cans of the beans and the chicken broth to the pot. Take the third can of beans and puree them in a blender or food processor. Add this to the pot along with the cheese. Stir well and simmer for 10 minutes, allowing the cheese to melt.

I couldn't find LF montery jack in my local store, so I used regular and reduced the amount in the recipe.

Reb
Restarted SB on 10/23/05

Reb

Postby Burdle » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:16 pm

Chili recipes are very welcome here! After all, chili has beans, and beans are good.
Burdle
Burdle

Postby baptistbluerose » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:33 pm

Well, I finally found the famous Burdle Bean thread! :lol: Thanks for all this wonderful information! What caught my eye was the first recipe on here... Bean Pudding. You have to be kidding! :shock: BEAN pudding??? :shock: Ok, I want to try this and I am soooooo new to the world of beans. Two questions about the other ingredients though. What cocoa powder is P1 friendly? And can I use the equal packets for sweetner? (If not, how much splenda?) Thanks!
baptistbluerose

Postby Burdle » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:40 pm

I use Hersey's cocoa, the unsweetened stuff for baking. Any s/f sweetener is ok, you will have to keep tasting to find the correct amount.
Burdle
Burdle

Postby alammy » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:09 am

Burdle,
Question about your Bean Pie recipe, on page 1. Is the consistency after baking supposed to be crunchy or soft? I made this tonight and thought it was okay. What do you usually have with it? just curious. Oh silly me, I left out the olive oil in the recipe, I'm sure that made a difference.
"I've Got the Power!"
alammy

Postby Burdle » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:31 pm

The bean pie usually comes out soft and creamy, the edges usually get a little crunchy (that's my favorite part).
Burdle
Burdle

Postby alammy » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:37 pm

Burdle,
That is how it came out, only next time, I'll be sure and add the olive oil. I really liked it. It is good with your stewy type gravish meals, instead of rice or potatos!! YUM!
"I've Got the Power!"
alammy

Postby marvholly » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:03 am

I am always looking for new ways to eat more of the few beans I find palatable. Ran into this today and since I have partial cans of black beans, and diced tomatoes plus bell peppers in the fridge its going to be lunch tomorrow.

Layered Black Bean Salad

6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 tablespoons rice or white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
12 cups baby spinach leaves, stems removed, loosely packed
3 cups halved cherry or grape tomatoes or diced tomato
1 medium yellow bell pepper, seeded, cut into quarters and thinly sliced
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded, cut into quarters and thinly sliced
2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
1 medium avocado, peeled, pitted, diced (optional, lower fat without)
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, and mustard. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set this dressing aside.
In a deep, clear container, layer the salad as follows: spinach leaves, tomatoes, yellow bell pepper, red bell pepper, beans, and shredded cheese. Top the salad with the avocado. Top with dressing just before serving.

MAKES 6 SERVINGS | PER SERVING: 360 CALORIES, 21 G. TOTAL FAT (4 G. SATURATED FAT), 32 G. CARBOHYDRATES, 16 G. PROTIEIN, 13 G. DIETARY FIBER, 624 MG. SODIUM.
Holly
marvholly

Thank you!

Postby Woodsygirl » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:25 am

Thank you so much for all of these wonderful bean recipes. I do not like to eat a lot of meat, but I do love beans. These will help both me and my husband stick to the SB diet. :D
Woodsygirl

Help?

Postby CreativeinDC » Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:22 pm

Can anyone point me in the direction of the Chocolate Bean Cake and White Bean cake recipes?
Back on the beach after two car accidents in less than 2 months, a long recovery and 30 lb weight gain.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
CreativeinDC

Postby Ph.D. 2 B » Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:03 am

I'm having a problem using dry beans. I followed the directions to the T and the beans are nasty. Doesn't matter what bean it is. Tried the "soak over night" and the "cook for an hour and rinse" methods both turned out badly. I'm not a bad cook and I love beans. I want to use the dry over canned because I'm a college student and dry beans are incredibly cheap and don't take up too much room. I'll take any help I can get.
39yrs, F , Strtd 515 Strtd SB 3 months later 489, p2 at 473 lost so far 160
ON SB: BAD ATTITUDE = BAD EXPERIENCE
Ph.D. 2 B

Postby Burdle » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:56 am

What do you mean, Ph.D. 2 B? Are they grainy? Mushy? What kinds have you tried? Exactly how are you cooking them? More info, please, in order to hopefully come up with an answer for you...
Burdle
Burdle

Postby Burdle » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:02 am

Here's the Chocolate Bean Cake recipe, I honestly can't remember if it was ever posted to this bean thread, I know it was a separate thread many months ago. Unfortunately, I don't have the white bean cake recipe in my computer files.

Chocolate Bean Cake

1 15 oz can black beans (drained & rinsed)
4 large eggs, seperated
1/2 cup Splenda
3 TBSP baking cocoa
2 TBSP strong coffee (or 1 TBSP espresso powder or coffee dissolved in 1 TBSP hot water)
1 tsp baking powder
2 TBSP Smart Beat spread or canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
2 TBSP chopped walnuts or hazelnuts-optional

Preheat oven to 350.

Prepare an 8x8 baking pan by spraying it with Pam.

Blend the egg yolks,splenda,baking powder, Smart Beat (or oil), vanilla, coffee, & cocoa in a blender or with a stick blender. Add the rinsed & drained beans & puree until smooth. Transfer bean mixture to a bowl if using a blender.

In a seperate bowl, whip the egg whites with a pinch of salt with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form. Mix 1/3 of the egg whites into the bean
mixture to lighten the bean mixture. Fold in the remaining egg whites in two portions. It's OK if some white streaks remain in the batter.

Pour the batter into the baking dish. Sprinkle the top with chopped nuts if desired. Tap the pan on counter a couple of times to release any air pockets. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool 10 minutes before slicing.

Makes 16 2"x2" servings.

Variations: Chocolate peanut butter: add 2 TBSP natural peanut butter to the bean mixture. Sprinkle top with chopped peanuts if desired.

Chocolate hazelnut: Add 1 TBSP sugar-free hazelnut syrup or 1/4 tsp hazelnut extract to the bean mixture. Sprinkle the top with chopped hazelnuts if desired.

Note: coffee enhances the flavor of chocolate & makes it more chocolately, you don't taste the coffee.

Burdle
Burdle

PreviousNext

Return to South Beach Diet Recipe and Food Area