Diet Alternative- Proactol Plus (Ads) | Home :: South Beach Diet | Food List | Recipes | Related Books and Grocery Shopping (Amazon)

"Yummy" Eggplant Parmesan (phase 2 & 3)

Share your favourite recipes here.

Moderators: KristyW, Magna, Kimboroni

"Yummy" Eggplant Parmesan (phase 2 & 3)

Postby luvs_torun » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:48 am

Made this tonite and it was delicious and easy!

Eggplant Parmesan

1 Cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbs dried Italian seasoning
1 tsp lemon pepper
½ tsp salt
1 large eggplant (peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices)
1 cup Whole Wheat flour
¾ cup Eggbeaters (or 2 large eggs and 1 egg white beaten)
1 jar fat-free marinara sauce (or small jar of Ragu Light)
1 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 400° Combine first 6 ingredients in a shallow dish. Dredge eggplant slices in flour. Combine egg whites and egg. Dip eggplant slices in eggs; dredge in the breadcrumb mixture. Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer on a cookie sheet sprayed coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes. Pour the sauce evenly over eggplant slices; sprinkle with cheese. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
5' 6" , 130 , 49 yrs. Started SB 01-2005.
Sprinting (and cycling) enthusiastically along in Phase 3!

"I do not run to add days to my life-----I run to add life to my days."
luvs_torun

Postby A-Rod » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:52 pm

I have noticed that you use WW breadcrumbs in a few recipes that you enjoy - I tried them once and really wasn't happy with them. Can you tell me how you make them, or where you buy them? I'd love to use them, but I couldn't get them dry/fine enough.

This recipe looks great, by the way - I'd love to try it.
A-Rod

Postby luvs_torun » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:59 pm

A-Rod, I make my own. It is awfully easy. I just "toast" as many slices of ww bread that I need, throw them in my food processor (after they have cooled) and add spices, like garlic or onion salt, chili powder, some Italian seasoning, or other dried herbs and spices depending on the type of dish I am making and the flavor I am looking for. My food processor does a good job of making the crumbs fine enough.
Let me know if you try making them and how it works out!

luvs_torun

Postby luvs_torun » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:47 am

Just a brief side note about this recipe. I had several slices of this left today. So tonite for my evening snack I added turkey pepperoni to two slices of eggplant parmesan and ate it cold (with a glass of wine). Tasted exactly like cold pepperoni pizza! (I have always loved COLD pizza). :D

luvs_torun

Postby Britchik » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:14 pm

As requested by recipelover - re-posting here :)

Eggplant mozzarella grilled slices (and optional sauce)

This is a lovely dish - especially if you make it with home-made roasted pepper, onion and tomato (use pasata cos it has no added sugars) relish/sauce.

Slice one eggplant into discs, then put them in a strainer, cover them in salt and leave for one hour. This removes the bitter juice that makes eggplant rather unpleasant.
Rinse eggplant WELL to remove salt; drain off any further juice from strainer, then put slices on kitchen paper and pat dry.
Set grill to medium.
Grate enough mozzarella to cover the slices of eggplant and put to one side.
Brush eggplant slices with olive oil and grill for 4 mins, then flip, coat reverse side with oil and grill another 4 mins.
Remove from grill, add grated cheese to each slice, and return to grill to cook until cheese is melted.
Serve with salad or roasted pepper, onion and tomato sauce

(For sauce: grill or roast red bell peppers and onions in small amount olive oil, then add to blender with pasata (or cooked tomatoes) and roasted garlic - blend until you have the best consistency for you - can be rough or smooth - serve with eggplant slices)
Height 5ft 7
Starting weight 139lbs
CW: 133 (as of 23 march)
Goal: 120
Britchik

Postby sharonanne » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:18 pm

Another Variation.

Simplified Eggplant Parmesan

The first time I tried to modify Eggplant Parmesan I followed the basics in the Cooks Illustrated recipe and salted the eggplant. Then I baked it rather than fried it before combining with other ingredients and baking again.

I was wondering if all that was necessary and skipped those steps. It actually works. There is some liquid but it isn't as watery as I had been led to believe it should be.

1 medium eggplant thickly sliced
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes (I used DelMonte zesty)
Sliced skim milk mozarella (I used fresh but any kind would work)
Grated parmesan cheese

Put half the sliced egglpant in an ovenproof casserole, top with half the mozarella, tomatoes and parmesan. Repeat this layer. Bake at 350 for 45 mins.

Because the eggplant hasn't been salted and precooked there is some liquid but it does re-absorb a little if the dish is left to sit for 10 or 15 mins. I used a slotted spooon to serve it and there really isn't much wasted.

The number of servings depends mostly on how much cheese you use that's why I've left the amounts out.
Ticker on vacation
sharonanne

Postby luvs_torun » Tue May 30, 2006 6:37 pm

Making eggplant parmesan for dinner tonite.... Had to find the recipe. Thought I would **bump** it up!

luvs_torun

Postby JessieLynn » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:06 am

I normally don't like the egglant parmesan, but DH wanted it for his birthday. So I modified it a bit, and combined some of the different receipes I found. Volia- Birthday eggplant parmesan. I loved it- the eggplant wasn't mushy (which is why I don't like eggplant parm normally)

Birthday Eggplant Parmesan.

· 2 eggplant
· salt
· Classico 4 Cheese pasta sauce (1 jar)
· 1.25 lbs fresh mozzarella
· WW Flour
· Spices (garlic, pepper, oregano, basil, onion powder)
· 4 eggs

Cut the eggplant into slices, and salt heavily. Put into a colander and let drain for 1 hour.

Rinse the eggplant slices well and then dry them (I used paper towels).

In one bowl, mix the WW flour, and spices. Crack open the eggs in another bowl.

Coat the eggplant slices in egg, then in the flour mix and put onto a cookie sheet one layer thick.

Put the eggplant into the oven at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.

Remove the eggplant slices and put into a baking dish, about 3 layers thick.

Cover with the jar of sauce and put slices of the fresh mozzarella on top.

Cook until mozzarella browns.

Yum!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/watVAKR/]

Journal: http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/for ... 255#995255
JessieLynn

Postby recipelover » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:03 pm

Just copying in a recipe:

Cindy's Yummy Eggplant Dressing--All Phases [posted by CindyB]

This is a SB friendly variation of a recipe from my childhood:
1 Eggplant
1/2 onion,
4 green onion
4 cloves garlic
1/2 green bell pepper
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 lb. ground lean turkey
ff chicken broth

Rough chop the veggies
In wok or deep fryer add the olive oil.
Add turkey and brown half way
Add Veggies
Sautee on med until dry, then add chicken broth to just keep moist
Add salt and pepper to taste
Continue to coook until eggplant and veggies are soft.
Cover and remove from heat.
Let sit for 15 min.

Phase 1: Eat as is with complimentary side dishes or spoon into cored green peppers and bake until peppers are soft.

Phase 2 & 3: Serve over brown or wild rice with complimentary side dishes.

Suggestions for complimentary side dishes: cucumber salad, parmesan tomatos.

Hope ya'll enjoy!
(*;*)
I love recipes so I put together the:
Recipe summary Sticky arranged by categories: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=97961
recipelover

Postby recipelover » Fri May 04, 2007 12:33 pm

Just copying in a recipe:

Personal Eggplant Pizza's (Phase 2 w/breadcrumbs) [posted by luvs_torun]

I like to use eggplant and make mini pizzas..
(you can make this a p1 recipe by omitting the breadcrumbs and using one cup Parmesan cheese.)

1 Cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbs dried Italian seasoning
½ tsp salt
1 large eggplant (peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices)
¾ cup Eggbeaters (or 2 large eggs and 1 egg white beaten)
1 Cup WW flour

Preheat oven to 400° Combine first 5 ingredients in a shallow dish. Dredge eggplant slices in flour. Combine egg whites and egg. Dip eggplant slices in eggs; dredge in the breadcrumb mixture. Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer on a cookie sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes.
Top with no sugar added tomato sauce, lf mozzarella cheese and your favorite toppings.
Bake an additional ten minutes or til cheese is melted.
(*;*)
I love recipes so I put together the:
Recipe summary Sticky arranged by categories: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=97961
recipelover

Postby rhales199 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:28 am

Summer Nights Eggplants Allrecipes.com P2 with bread crumbs (you can probably omit them, I don’t know)
2 large eggplants
1/2 cup olive oil for frying
2 medium onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 small tomatoes, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
salt and pepper to taste
4 cups dry bread crumbs
1 cup crumbled feta cheese (other kinds of cheese would work as well)
Remove the leaves from the eggplants, and slice in half lengthwise. Carefully scoop out the centers of the eggplants, leaving a half-inch shell so they resemble 'canoes'. Cut the center portion into small pieces, and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, and saute for a few minutes, until tender. Add the eggplant pieces, and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Then, stir in the tomato, green pepper, and parsley. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, and transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the bread crumbs until evenly blended. Divide the mixture evenly between the four eggplant shells. Sprinkle feta cheese over the top. Place the eggplant halves on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until the tops are browned and the cheese is melted. Serve hot or cold. I prefer them chilled. Serves 4
6ft,33, hypothyroid, plantar fasciitis, Sleep Apnea, wifey & caregiver to a hunny w/ Cerebral Palsy, I've lost 80 lbs, 27 more to go!
no longer on Sb due to food sensitivities, but I still eat healthy!
SW- oct 2006 289lbs
GW- 182 lbs
rhales199

Re: "Yummy" Eggplant Parmesan (phase 2 & 3)

Postby living_out_loud » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:52 pm

I just tried this recipe out of Canadian Living Magazine. It was delish! The rest of my family does not like eggplant so they were not as thrilled with it as I was.

Grilled Eggplant with Provolone (Phase 1)

Ingredients
1large eggplant, (about 1 lb/750 g)
1tsp tsp(5 mL) (5 mL) salt
3tbsp tbsp(45 mL) (45 mL) olive oil5
5oz oz (142 g) shredded provolone cheese, (about 1 cups/375 mL) (I used low fat)
Cherry Tomato Sauce:
2cups cups(500 mL) (500 mL) cherry tomatocherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes
4anchovy filletanchovy fillets, minced
2cloves garlic, minced
2tbsp tbsp(25 mL) (25 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
2tsp tsp(10 mL) (10 mL) red wine vinegar
12basil leafbasil leaves, torn
1tsp tsp(5 mL) (5 mL) salt and pepper
Preparation:
Peel off strips of eggplant skin lengthwise to create stripes; cut eggplant crosswise into 3/4-inch (2 cm) thick rounds. Sprinkle all over with salt ; let stand for 30 minutes. Place rounds between tea towels; press out liquid.

Cherry Tomato Sauce: In bowl, mix together tomatoes, anchovies, garlic, oil, vinegar, basil, salt and pepper; scrape onto heavy-duty foil and wrap into packet. Place on grill over medium-high heat; cook until saucy, 10 to 15 minutes

Meanwhile, brush both sides of eggplant slices with oil. Add to grill; close lid and grill until bottoms are golden brown, about 5 minutes.

Turn and cover with cheese; grill until eggplant is tender, bottoms are golden and cheese is melted, 4 to 5 minutes. Serve topped with tomato sauce.

Nutritional Info
per each of 6 servings: about -
cal 233
pro 8 g
total fat 18 g
sat. fat 6 g
carb 11 g
fibre 3 g
chol 19 mg
sodium 595 mg
potassium 293 mg
% RDI: -
calcium 18%
iron 6%
vit A 11%
vit C 13%
folate 10%

Suggested Recipes
~Michelle

SW 174
CW 140
GW 145
I am female and 5'5
living_out_loud

Learn about Eggplant/DD/10/12/11

Postby ami » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:43 pm

Learn About Eggplant

Whether you choose to grill it, roast it, or bake it, the slightly sweet, fiber-rich eggplant can be enjoyed in a variety of dishes utilizing various cooking techniques. Eggplant has a mild flavor and “meaty” texture and is available year-round. Because of its robust flavor and texture, it makes the perfect addition to meat and poultry-based stews and casseroles, and vegetarian main dishes. Here are a few tips for buying, storing, and cooking this versatile vegetable, which is recommended on all Phases of the South Beach Diet.

Buying and Storing Eggplant

The most common eggplants, which are dark purple, are known as American, or globe eggplants. But there are also Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Italian, and Spanish varieties, which come in a many shapes, sizes, and colors, including squat and tear-shaped, canary yellow, bright orange, and white, as well as striated.

When shopping for eggplants, be sure to look for those that are firm, heavy, and smooth. Eggplants with wrinkled or flabby-looking skin will most likely be bitter-tasting. To check for freshness, simply press the vegetable with your thumb; the indentation should fill up rapidly if the eggplant is fresh.

Eggplants should be kept in a cool, dry place or in the refrigerator. They’ll keep for a couple of days if not refrigerated, or for up to four days in the fridge (as long as you wrap them tightly in plastic wrap).

Cooking Eggplant
Eggplant can be cooked and eaten with or without its skin. If you want to eat it without the skin, you can peel it before cooking or simply scoop out the flesh when you’re ready to eat. The flesh of eggplant begins to turn brown when exposed to air, so avoid cutting the vegetable until you're ready to cook it. Eggplant can be added to soups, stews, and casseroles, or eaten on its own. Here are 4 more ways to enjoy eggplant:

Grill eggplants whole (with a couple of holes poked in them to let steam escape) or grill them halved or sliced with a light coating of extra-virgin olive oil and a sprinkling of herbs.
Roast eggplant slices for sandwiches or add cooked cubed eggplant to a tomato sauce and serve with whole-wheat pasta (on Phase 2).
Add cooked and mashed eggplant to your favorite hummus recipe.
Steam halved or cubed eggplant, then drizzle with a little sesame oil, some reduced-sodium soy sauce, and vinegar for a delicious appetizer.
Ami in OH
ami

A Tasty Eggplant Dish/DD/1013/11

Postby ami » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:03 pm

A Tasty Eggplant Dish

From appetizers and side dishes to entrées, eggplant is a versatile veggie that makes an ideal addition to weekday or weekend meals. Whether you’re planning a quiet evening in or cooking for a crowd, check out this delicious chicken and eggplant casserole, perfect for a cool, fall evening.

Chicken and Eggplant Casserole (Phase 1)

Description
Chicken baked with eggplant and other vegetables, along with a hint of delicious cheese, makes a glorious combination in this casserole. Make this dish ahead and cook it the next day, or make two batches and freeze one for an easy meal another day.

Makes 4 servings

Ingredients
1 eggplant, peeled and cut into 12 slices
2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan or Asiago cheese
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
3/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese

Instructions
Preheat the broiler.

Arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer on a nonstick baking sheet. Mist the slices with cooking spray. Broil 4 inches from the heat for 2 minutes, or until golden. Turn the eggplant over and mist again. Sprinkle with the Parmesan or Asiago cheese and garlic. Broil for 1 minute, or until golden. Set aside.

Heat a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add the chicken and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes, or until no longer pink. Add the tomatoes (with juice), onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, Italian seasoning, and black pepper, stirring to break up the tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Coat an 8" baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange the 6 eggplant slices you already cooked in the bottom of the dish. Top with the chicken mixture.

Arrange the remaining 6 eggplant slices over the chicken. Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil and finish cooking, or refrigerate until the next day. Or wrap with foil, label, and freeze for up to 3 weeks.

Bake, covered, for 30 minutes, or until heated through. To cook frozen casserole, bake, covered, at 375°F for 50 minutes, or until heated through.

Nutritional information
Per serving:
205 calories
3 g fat (1 g sat)
19 g carbohydrate
25 g protein
6 g fiber
395 mg sodium
55 mg cholesterol
Ami in OH
ami

Eggplant caponata (any phase)

Postby Magna » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:26 pm

Here's a delicious eggplant dish, suitable for any phase. It doesn't taste diet-y at all, and even people who dislike eggplant love it. It has a significant amount of oil, so you 'd need to serve it as an appetizer or a garnish/sauce on other foods (even though you might want to eat the whole thing at one sitting!) It's great with eggs, or as a filling for an omelette, and is also good on or accompanying meats, poultry, or fish. In phase 2 or 3 you could spread it on whole-grain bread or serve it over whole-grain pasta. It refrigerates well and is even better after a day or two. It can be served warm, room temperature, or cold. Even though there's no added sugar, this is surprisingly sweet.

Ingredients:
3-5 tablespoons olive oil
1 1½ pound eggplant, unpeeled, cut into ½-inch cubes
1 medium onion, cubed
4 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 14 ½-ounce can diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings in juice
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons drained capers
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
Toasted pine nuts (you can omit these if you'll be serving this as a garnish on eggs, fish, or a delicate-flavored meat)

Heat oil in large heavy pot over medium heat. Add eggplant, onion, and garlic cloves. Saute until eggplant is soft and brown, about 15 minutes.

Add tomatoes with juice, then wine vinegar and capers. Cover and simmer until eggplant and onion are very tender, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes.

Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix in fresh basil. If you'll be serving it right away, put it in a serving bowl and sprinkle with toasted pine nuts. If you want to serve it later, transfer it to a covered or sealed storage container after it has cooled, and hold the pine nuts until you're ready to serve (otherwise they'll mix into the dish).

Other optional ingredients: chopped red peppers, pepper flakes, zucchini. You can substitute balsamic vinegar for wine vinegar.

If necessary, you can reduce the olive oil a little and add some stock or broth. Eggplant absorbs a lot of oil and liquid as it cooks, so don't try to reduce the liquid too much or it will stick and burn.
Male
Magna

Return to South Beach Diet Recipe and Food Area