Well, Hello everyone!
I'm me, Tzafra, though I've got another name in real life. I'm from Canada, studying in Israel, living in the dorm of a college with all its natural food dangers. There's no meal plan here, so I do all my own cooking. A few years ago I started on SB, lost a nice 25 lbs, but since then I've gone back to where I was plus some. I kept some of the good habits though; I'll rarely make a starch-based meal, and my commitment to myself when I moved into the dorm was to not rely on pasta, which I'm happy to say I've kept to. I really do eat mostly healthy, but somehow I just keep gaining weight. I've decided to go back to the Beach, and here I am.
Some tricks I like using:
- Keeping good food around, keeping good food around, and keeping good food around. Because if it's not here, I'm not going to eat it.
- Chocolate for taste-I'll fill up on vegetables, and then eat just one square of a chocolate bar, or one teaspoon of ice cream, or whatever, as dessert. You know the Entenman's Pop'em Donut Holes? The slogan on their box is "you can't eat just one!" I've done it
I find that the best way is to take one just on the way out of my dorm, and then leave so I can't have any more.
- Using money as an argument. It might not work for everyone, but on a student budget it's been a real success for me. I stopped carrying money around to classes, leaving my wallet in my room, and suddenly I couldn't buy anything from the vending machines. I can buy a whole chicken for the price of a container of ice cream...etc, etc. (Also saved me a pretty penny
My personal SB challenges are:
- I'm Jewish and only eat kosher food. So that means nothing with both meat and dairy products in it (like creamed chicken for example), and just no to all seafoods like clams, lobster, etc., and some meats. It cuts out a lot of more creative recipes, I'm sorry to say.
- I don't like fish
except tuna and gefilte.
- I don't like a lot of forms of eggs - pretty much anything except scrambled. So there goes the whole omelette/hard boiled egg arena.
- I'm a student, so I'm always watching my wallet as well as my plate. I'm loath to buy a whole container of a new spice just to try one new recipe (though I do it once in a while). (Yes, I mentioned this as a tip before...it works both ways)
- finally, there are always campus events with free pizza! And friends who want to go out for dinner! And hot chocolate just waiting for me! What's a girl to do??