Diet Alternative- Proactol Plus (Ads) | Home :: South Beach Diet | Food List | Recipes | Related Books and Grocery Shopping (Amazon)

Team #1

Anything related to exercise here.

Moderators: KristyW, Magna, Kimboroni

Team #1

Postby Maralian » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:13 pm

Hi team #1, I am Maralian, I've been living SB style since Jan 19, 2009. I want to lose 20lbs but have been stucked at the same weight +/- 2 pounds since May! :shock: so I really need to get the scale moving down again!
Any suggestions for our team name? What about "the turkey burners", or "holidays shockers". Sorry, I am not very inspired today, hahaha! :mrgreen:
SW 151lbs (1/16/12)
First GW 146lbs Reached: 2/20/12
Second GW 140lbs Reached:
Maralian

Re: Team #1

Postby steph142 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:22 pm

Hi! I'm Steph and started SB 10/12/09. I've lost 12 lbs so far :D . My goal by Christmas is to be at 140lbs (my original goal was 142 lbs, but have been doing well that I started a new goal) and to be down another dress size. I'm also hoping to get my exercise in each week as well.

1. What are your 2 goals to be achieved at the end of the challenge (by Dec 13th)
to be down 5 more lbs (140) and to continue my workouts at least 3x a week.

2. What is your starting weight (optional)?
my overall starting weight was 157 lbs, starting from today 145 lbs

3. What are your measurements (optional)?
I will fill in later

4. What are your 2 goals for week #1. Choose something that is really challenging but that you know you can achieve. It can be anything from getting your water in, exercising, avoiding temptation, anything that has been a struggle and will use the motivation of this team effort.
exercise at least 3x per week and drinking more water on the weekends

5. What is your moto?

6. Each week you will get an activity to win extra points. For week #1 it will be: introduce yourself. Please post in this thread.
Last edited by steph142 on Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
steph142

Postby cjmeller » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Hi everyone, I'm Christie (or CJ for short). This is my second time on the beach. I did great the first time, but then several life setbacks got in the way. It wasn't all at once... stopped running due to injury, add 10 lbs, etc., etc. Found myself in August trying to recover from a spring illness that had lingered on for several months, leaving me fatigued and stressed. I couldn't muster the energy to even cook a decent meal, let alone clean my house, exercise, etc. Finally hit the point where I had to go buy new clothes (I had given away all my chubby clothes, swearing "never again!") and just said enough is enough.

I started somewhere over 180 (was too ashamed to step on the scale) on August 24th. I'm now at 163 and I feel great! I am very strict about eating, which is easy for me b/c I love vegetables, cooking, and trying new recipes. I've been taking lots of vitamins and have been able to really increase my exercise recently, so my energy levels are dramatically improved.

My goal weight is somewhere in the 135 to 145 range. Will depend on how much running I am doing. I'm going to start training for a half marathon that is in June. When I run alot, I find I lose a lot of weight... when I was at my peak a couple years ago, I was under 125. That is the only scenario in which I would let my weight get that low.

My first mini goal is 158. That is the highest weight considered to be a healthy BMI for my height/build. My scale will move slowly for awhile (but my measurements are humming right along!) as my sudden increase in exercise is building lots of long-neglected muscle, so for awhile, I've got to accept that the scale may not move even if I'm shrinking. And that's okay by me.

I'm in the SBO group and post my meals, exercise, etc. daily over there.

Can't wait to get started!
cjmeller

Postby Maralian » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:44 am

OK now I will answer my own questions :lol:
1. What are your 2 goals to be achieved at the end of the challenge (by Dec 13th).
1) I want to reach my overall goal of 128, I have been 2 pounds away but I fell off the wagon so easily that I need to stay focused!
2) I want to be able to wear my levi's. I was able to button them a few weeks ago but after this terrible week I don't even want to try! :oops: I want to be able to wear them comfortably, not with my typical explosive muffin top, hahaha! :lol:

2. What is your starting weight (optional)? 132.5
3. What are your measurements (optional)? I haven't measured myself in a while but I went down 2 sizes and I am sure I can still drop one more.
4. What are your 2 goals for week #1. Choose something that is really challenging but that you know you can achieve. It can be anything from getting your water in, exercising, avoiding temptation, anything that has been a struggle and will use the motivation of this team effort.
1) Exercise 3x this week and do at least 300 abs
2) Drink at least 64 oz of water everyday.

5. What is your moto? I don't have one.
6. Each week you will get an activity to win extra points. For week #1 it will be: introduce yourself. Please post in this thread. Done
SW 151lbs (1/16/12)
Maralian

Postby cjmeller » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:46 am

My answers:

1. What are your 2 goals to be achieved at the end of the challenge (by Dec 13th).
Weight down to 155 and/or drop 10 total inches off measurements.
Be able to run for 20 continuous minutes (right now I'm at MAYBE 10. Will test on Wednesday when I run.).

2. What is your starting weight (optional)? 163.2

3. What are your measurements (optional)?
Bust 37.5
Below Bust 32.5
Waist (@ narrowest point) 29
Belly button 33
Hips 42.75
L Thigh 24.5
R Thigh 24.75
L Calf 15
R Calf 15
L Bicep 13
R Bicep 13
Total Inches 280

1) Minimum 150 minutes of cardio
2) Faster time at this weekend's 5K than my 5K two weeks ago.

5. What is your motto? Victory Comes with Sweat, Courage, and Preparation.

6. Each week you will get an activity to win extra points. For week #1 it will be: introduce yourself. Please post in this thread. See previous post!
cjmeller

Postby Maralian » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:26 am

Hi CJ and Steph, nice to meet you! :D
CJ, it's great that you can start running again, I wish I liked running because it is so easy to do and you don't need to follow a predetermined schedule. But I prefer to play tennis or go to the gym to step or yoga classes, I also hate the machines, so I really need to organize myself to get to those activities at the specific times. So far is working great because I really enjoy it!
Steph, you are so close to your goal! I am sure you will reach it by Christmas, maybe even before! I also struggle with the water, usually at work I am pretty good because I have a bottle next to me all the time, but lately even at work I have been forgetting about water, so I put it as one of my challenges.

I had a terrible start this week, there were chocolates everywhere in the office (including Swiss chocolate!) and I could not stop eating them, so today I decided to not even try a little piece, it is like a drug to me, once I start I cannot stop! I am figuring out what I need as my challenges for next week! But today I did great, got my water in and ate 100% beachy! and it feels sooooo good! :D
SW 151lbs (1/16/12)
Maralian

Postby cjmeller » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:14 am

Maralian--

I know what you mean! It is good to like weights and cardio because you can do them anytime. I prefer running outdoors... not a big fan of the treadmill. I try to only run 3 days a week right now to prevent injury, with elliptical training on the remaining days. I'm gradually adding in classes... I love yoga and pilates and am considering trying the zumba class at the gym. I find that when I get in an exercise rut, I will plateau, so I'm trying to start a regime that will give me lots of room for new activities in a couple months when I'm bored, plateauing, AND it's cold outside and the last thing I want to do is hit the gym! I wish I had someone here to play tennis with... it's been years! I'm going to try to start swimming laps a couple days a week at the community center too. Very low impact!

Great job on the avoiding chocolate! I used to be the source of all chocolate in my office but had to stop b/c it is too tempting with it on/in my desk!!!

I just tried my first attempt at a SBD-friendly "doughnut." Mini whole wheat pita stuffed with nsa pudding (lemon this time... thinking chocolate would be better) and drizzled on top with a tiny bit of agave syrup to act as glue for the 1/2 packet of purevia I put on top. It was actually pretty tasty!!

I do 12 days of treats for my office in December. Starting to plan now... going to be so hard to be baking without sampling!!
cjmeller

Postby Maralian » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:18 am

Your SB doughnut sounds really interesting! :D unfortunately I don't like artificial sweeteners, the only product I tolerate so far are the SF fudgesicles. I used to drink lots of diet sodas but even those I don't like that much anymore, I only have one once in a while and before it was pretty much once a day! :shock:
I've been doing pretty good these past couple of days, I got my water but I have not even started the abs, man I have to start tonight otherwise I would have to do the 300 in a raw to meet my challenge! :shock: and that is not the point! :wink:
How are you doing with your weekly challenges? Do you have a journal? Mine is "P2+cravings back=P1" or something like that. Where are you steph142???
SW 151lbs (1/16/12)
Maralian

Postby steph142 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:23 pm

Sorry everyone, but I lost my little angel Wednesday night. (my shih-tzu dog)

I just wanted to let you know that I'm still interested in the challenge, but I won't be able to get on until this weekend. I'm still doing SB and have been pretty good with it through all the sadness :cry:

I will catch up with everyone this weekend and then I will be back on track with everyday posting.

Have a good day!
steph142

Postby cjmeller » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:13 am

Steph-- I'm so sorry for your loss! I know how I'll be when it's time for one of my kitties to go. stay strong!
Maralian-- the purevia is technically artificial (darned soda companies co-opting Stevia!!), but the blue agave syrup is an all-natural low-glycemic alternative to honey. I use it pretty sparingly, but it has worked well for me so far!

I'm on track for the goals this week. So far, I've gotten in 120 hrs. of cardio, plus bowling on Monday, softball on Tuesday (2 games), and then 4 games of softball tonight. Not sure if I'll make the 8am 5K tomorrow, but if not, I plan to run 3 miles tomorrow afternoon and use my time from that for this week's goal. Wasn't expecting to be getting home at midnight tonight! We ended up losing in the championship game, but for a team that hadn't won a game this season up until tonight, I'm ecstatic!

I've been mostly proud of my food choices this week. I've had to eat out a lot (which is unusual for me), so I think I've handled it pretty well. Even the deviations from SB principles (lik non-whole grain bread) have been well with in normal portions and have shown moderation.

Suppose I should get to bed if I'm even going to consider running in the morning... have a great weekend everyone!
cjmeller

Postby steph142 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:36 am

Thank you cjmeller. It sounds like you are right on track with what your goals are..Congratulations!

I haven't exercise all week and haven't drank that much water this weekend. I will refocus and get back on track tomorrow. I hadn't posted in my diet journal, but did update that tonight. I'm starting 10/12/09.

How are you doing with your ab workout Maralian?

Talk to you both soon
steph142

Postby steph142 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:01 pm

Name: Steph
Team #: 1
Did you meet your goals? unfortunately no
1. I haven't exercised all week, unless you count bowling Friday night and walking around the Pet Expo on Sat. Other than that I haven't done much since the lost of my little angel.
2. Did not drink as much water as I would have liked

Did I meet the extra points? yes

What are your 2 goals for week #2:
1. get back on track to exercise 3 x week
2. drink more water on the weekends

Extra points: tell us how you felt during the first week of the challenge. What can you do to get even better for the coming weeks?
I was feeling great on Sunday and was excited about the challenges, but on Monday night my little angel was starting to get worse and I was spending more time with her and wasn't focusing on my exercises. Wednesday night I had went to the vet and made the call that she had enough and it was time to let her rest. After that point I didn't want to be home and when I was home all I did was lay on my bed and cry.
Now I am going to re-focus this week and get back on track with the challenges. I still miss her alot, so I'm going to do more yoga this week than anything else.
steph142

Postby Maralian » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:15 am

Hi teammies, how are you doing this second week? I am sick with a cold so I have not even reported my points and my goals for this week, but tomorrow I hope to get back and healthy, I am just soooooo sore....
SW 151lbs (1/16/12)
Maralian

Postby cjmeller » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:20 am

Maralian-- hope you're feeling better soon! I've been crazy sick twice this year, and I remember the soreness and the fatigue! Yoga on Sunday really wore me out. I've been exhausted all week! I work for the government, so I get tomorrow off... going to get a laser eye surgery consult, pick up some tea at whole foods (free with coupon... woo!), do some laundry, then try the yoga class again. I carry a ton of tension in my shoulders, which leads me to get both migraines and tension headaches. no good! my massage therapist reminded me that, with an increase in working out, I really need to be getting in stretching as well. So I'm going to try to commit to yoga twice a week. the teacher i like at my gym has great classes, but at inconvenient times: Sunday at 2 and Wednesday at 8:30pm. Each class is 90 minutes. Going to try to arrange my schedules so I can make it. I'll just have to make it a leftover night on wednesdays!

I start my goal week on Monday, so I'm only on day 2 so far. I've been working in my third fruit pretty well so far... in addition to the berries I have in my morning yogurt and my tangerine morning snack (paired with string cheese), I've either put apples in my lunch salads, or had frozen cherries (from costco... they are gorgeous!) in my nsa chocolate fudge pudding w/sugar free coolwhip in the evening.

Last night was bowling night, and I got in 45 minutes on the treadmill tonight. I made myself run at 6.0 mph for the first time in almost 2 years! Only went that fast for a couple minutes (1 short song... Glee mashup of It's My Life and Confessions), but did all my running over 5.0 (2 weeks ago, could barely handle 4.5), and all my walking intervals between 4.2 and 4.4, except when I would slow down briefly to get a drink or catch my breath. I was sweating like crazy by the time I was done!

Biggest Loser was on tonight... so sad to see Shay go home. :( They didn't do her after story yet... can't wait to see how much weight she's lost! I've never been into that show, but it happened to be on a couple weeks ago when I was catsitting for my sister, and I just found it to be such an inspiration. Had me doing crunches on the floor while I was watching it! Not only do their stories give me a boost of encouragement, but it is also a solemn reminder of where any of us could end up if we let ourselves get too far off track. My illness this spring got me off track, and before I knew it, I went from 150ish and fit to over 180 and constantly fatigued in less than 6 months. I'm just so thankful that I was able to say "enough is enough!" before my weight got really out of hand. IT is still so frustrating... struggling through a yoga class that I could handle with ease a couple years ago, feeling frustrated that the weights and inches don't magically disappear. Thankfully, I kept my measurements from 2 years ago when I lost over 50 lbs. I tend to do mini plateaus... will stay the same for a week or two, then BAM! I'll lose 3-4 lbs. and several inches. Those weeks are great, but the other weeks can be tough mentally. Good thing that all this exercise has endorphins flowing throw me!

I'm off to bed... hope everyone has a great week!
cjmeller

Postby steph142 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:52 am

I hope you start to feel better Maralian. :(

Way to go CJ!!! :)

The only exercise I've done this week was a brisk walk around the neighborhood. All toll it's about 1 mile, but I only did 3/4 mile yesterday and today. I've had a headache since Saturday that's just now starting to go away, so hopefully by tomorrow I can start my exercise routine up again.

Cj I hope your eye consult went well.

Have a great week Maralian and CJ....talk to you both soon :mrgreen:
steph142

Next

Return to Fitness and Exercise Forum