Diet Alternative- Proactol Plus (Ads) | Home :: South Beach Diet | Food List | Recipes | Related Books and Grocery Shopping (Amazon)

Too much vegetables causes Illness?

Health or medical issues related to SB Diet

Moderators: KristyW, Magna, Kimboroni

Too much vegetables causes Illness?

Postby youbetcha1018 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:31 pm

In my homeland,thyroid Goiter is a common illness which is cause by eating vegetables.Some say its lack of Iodine.But whatever it is,should we be needing or including different sorts of food in our meal?
Loose weight naturally
youbetcha1018

Postby Burnz » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:53 am

is it true? i'm not aware of that. we can get iodine from salt, maybe we can use a himalayan salt. i found it in [Dr. Joseph Mercola's website. i think it's not bad if we eat foods that contains iodine but make sure we don't eat to much of it. this will affect our diet.
Burnz

Postby youbetcha1018 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:48 pm

Burnz wrote:is it true? i'm not aware of that. we can get iodine from salt, maybe we can use a himalayan salt. i found it in [Dr. Joseph Mercola's website. i think it's not bad if we eat foods that contains iodine but make sure we don't eat to much of it. this will affect our diet.

yup!of course we can get iodine from salt.there's nothing wrong in taking salt on our daily meal.We just have to be aware of what we eat sometimes.
Loose weight naturally
youbetcha1018

Postby RedRox » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:09 pm

Can you site any sources that indicate that goiter is caused by eating vegetables?

The Mayo Clinic makes no mention of vegetables (either too many or too little) as a cause of goiter (enlarged thyroid). Iodine deficiency -- yes. Vegetables -- no.

One cause of goiter is iodine deficiency. In this situation, your thyroid can't make and release enough thyroxine and T-3 — both of which contain iodine — and it enlarges in response to excess stimulation from the pituitary.

Many causes of thyroid enlargement exist other than iodine deficiency. Some of the causes are serious, others not. Other causes of goiter include:

Graves' disease. This disease, an autoimmune disorder, is the most common cause of an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism). In Graves' disease, antibodies produced by your immune system stimulate the thyroid to produce too much thyroxine. Normally, your immune system uses antibodies to help protect against viruses, bacteria and other foreign substances that invade the body. In Graves' disease, antibodies mistakenly attack your thyroid gland and occasionally the tissue behind your eyes and the skin of your lower legs. The overstimulation of your thyroid in Graves' disease results in uniform and nonpainful swelling of the gland.

Hashimoto's disease. This disease, also called chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis, is a common cause of an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism). Hashimoto's disease also is an autoimmune disorder and causes inflammation, which impairs your thyroid's ability to produce hormones. Then, your pituitary gland attempts to stimulate your thyroid gland to produce more thyroid hormones, causing your thyroid gland to enlarge.

Multinodular goiter. In this condition, several nodules develop in both sides of your thyroid, resulting in overall enlargement of the gland. Multinodular goiter may occur with normal, low or excessive thyroid hormone production.

Solitary thyroid nodules. A solitary nodule describes a single nodule that can occur in any part of your thyroid gland. Most nodules are noncancerous (benign) and don't lead to cancer.

Thyroid cancer. Thyroid cancer is less common than benign thyroid nodules. Cancer of the thyroid often appears as an enlargement on one side of the thyroid.

Pregnancy. A hormone produced during pregnancy, human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG), may cause slight uniform enlargement of your thyroid gland.

Inflammation. Thyroiditis is an inflammatory condition of the thyroid. Various types of thyroiditis can result in an enlargement of your thyroid gland. Some may cause thyroid pain, often aggravated by swallowing or pressure. Some types of thyroiditis are associated with hyperthyroidism, while others are associated with hypothyroidism.

source: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/goiter ... ION=causes

What is the Mayo Clinic?

The Mayo Clinic logo represents the three underpinnings that continue our reputation as a pioneer and innovator in medicine - patient care, medical research and academic education.

It is part of Mayo Clinic's mission to serve as a reliable source of health information.
(emphasis mine)

source: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/AboutT ... MayoClinic
Dude: 5' 11" - 54: Started 04/01/04
Ramblin' along in P3 since June '05...

Eat real food. Not too much. Mostly plants. -- Michael Pollan
RedRox

Postby disneychick » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:22 pm

HI youbetcha,
I think your referring to goitrogens. Some people and studies feel they may reduce the thyroid function if eaten in huge quantities. These are cruciferous vegetables, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, kale, kohlrabi, mustard,rutabaga,turnips. Also, soy and soy products.

I am hypothyroid and have never been told to stop eating any of these foods. I just don't eat 5 cups of cabbage at a sitting but I think within the south beach guidelines they are full of vitamins and minerals that we need. I do however stay away from soy. This is my personnel preference because I know I don't feel as good after eating it.

I hope this helps answer your question. Keep eating your veggies, I wouldn't mess around with iodine supplements except under a doctors supervision.
Disneychick :lol:
disneychick

Postby youbetcha1018 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:47 pm

I'm not saying prevent eating vegetables.I'm only sharing this from what i've seen.There is this place in philippines were their main livelihood is planting vegetables,and have a very different lifestyle when it comes to their diet.Its a poor place and the goiter rates are commonly increasing.Of course iron deficiency is the main cause which is obviously because of their diet.
Loose weight naturally
youbetcha1018

Return to Health and Medical Issues