Diet Alternative- Proactol Plus (Ads) | Home :: South Beach Diet | Food List | Recipes | Related Books and Grocery Shopping (Amazon)

Kidney Stones

Health or medical issues related to SB Diet

Moderators: KristyW, Magna, Kimboroni

Kidney Stones

Postby debrah423 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:37 am

I have been in phase 1 for two weeks on the advice of my physician. I have had no problems. I have also been taking Topimax for four years to treat mood swings. I have no history and my family has no history of kidney stones. Today I had surgery to remove one kidney stone and I have another in the other kidney. I was reading other threads here about this topic and wanted to reply but could not find them so I started a new thread. Here is a reference I found today regarding diet and stones:
1. Reddy, S.T, Wang, C.Y., Sakhaee, K., Brinkley, L., and CYC. Pak. Effect of low-carbohydrate high-protein diets on acid-base balance, stone-forming propensity, and calcium metabolism. Am. J. Kidney Dis. 40(2):265-74, 2002.

I have not read the research yet myself.
As for the Topomax, it says right on the insert of the product that it can cause stones but it can be avoided if 6-8 glasses of water are consumed each day. Since I drink as much as this, it was not avoided. I did send off a notice to the FDA today. I intend to have a word with my X-primary care physician as well. Both of these (topomax use and low carb/high protein diets) can also cause osteoporosis. Since I already have Oteopenia my X-PCP was way out of line putting me on SB diet knowing I take Topomax. I like SB and Topomax but they aren't worth my bone health or my kidney health.
debrah423

Re: Kidney Stones

Postby Kimboroni » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:05 am

I doubt it has anything to do with SB. First, it looks like it takes months to years for a kidney stone to form. So it's unlikely that just 2 weeks of a certain diet would cause this. Second, SB is not a low carb / high protein diet. Not when done correctly-- you shouldn't be eating large amounts of protein-- only what your body needs, which is the same moderate amount that they recommend on a plan like Weight Watchers (when not abused for point manipulation). And you should be eating a fairly moderate amount of carbs from LOTS of vegetables. You shouldn't be restricting carbs to under 20 g of "net carbs" per day or anything like that, which is what those low carb studies and diets call for. We don't count carbs on SB.
My FAQ-- food lists, portion guidelines, etc.

SB since Nov '03
Goal: major weight loss (50+ lbs) & good health
Reached Jan '05!
Kimboroni

Kidney Stones

Postby Imled » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:22 am

Forget the kidney stones, people itappears I yes may have kidney stones but unikely they are causing the trouble - I have gallbadder trouble. Not sure what exactly waiting for a scan/xray thingy.

Not sure if its gallstoes or not.
Imled

Re: Kidney Stones

Postby Juliedespino » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:39 am

Some people were facing a problem with kidney stones. Here are 5 tips that you can use to avoid getting kidney stones yourself.
• Drink Lots More Water
• Get Enough Magnesium
• Stay Away from Sugar like Soda and Fructose
• Hit That Exercise Program You've Been Putting Off
• Avoid Soy That Is Non-Fermented
One of the best instant home remedies for kidney stone is to consume 1-2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar every day until the pain decreases. Apple Cider Vinegar is good for breaking the minerals up so it is easier to pass as well as removing the toxins left over.
It can take anywhere from 5 to 10 days before the kidneys are flushed from any toxins and pain free. This will depend on the amount of water your body is consuming.
A good tip is to use a hot wash cloth and place it on the lower back area where the pain is present. This has helped for me personally and I couldn't of imagined going through the pain without it.
Juliedespino

Return to Health and Medical Issues